Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Explaining hd to a potential partner

Posted by PK 
PK
Explaining hd to a potential partner
July 21, 2014 08:05PM
I have a CAG count of 41 and am 58 years old. I was diagnosed with hd 3 years ago and keeping things under control with supplement. Diet and exercise.
My question, I have met someone we have gone out a few times . Wondering if based on my medical issues I should stop seeing him ? How would you explain the disease to someone? My physical symptoms are not obvious except to a Dr.

Pam
Re: Explaining hd to a potential partner
July 22, 2014 11:02AM
At some point, you may need to tell him. If you are both just enjoying casual dating and not looking to a future together, then I don't think there is any need to discuss medical issues. If it seems that the relationship is getting serious, then I would. You don't want to risk getting hurt by waiting until you are head over heels in love.

When and if it is time, I would explain that you have a genetic disorder that will eventually cause a variety of symptoms, some like Alzheimer's and some involving involuntary movements. I would say that you are doing your best to take care of yourself to delay this illness and that you are hoping for treatments to become available within the next few years but that there is no guarantee.

As I am sure you know, there could be a wide variety of responses. I have known people to marry someone who is already symptomatic and others to make a commitment without marriage to protect assets since it was too late to get long term disability and long term care insurance. Sometimes people have decided to continue dating and others have decided to end things because they are not cut out to be caregivers (or have been caregivers and need a break from it).
Re: Explaining hd to a potential partner
July 26, 2014 09:01AM
Good for you. Life doesn't have to stop because of your diagnosis. Marsha gave great advice. Now I'm like the pot calling the kettle black because I could take better care of myself but enjoy yourself. If it gets to a point where you need to share then do so. Don't forget progression may not be something on the fast track for you.

Good Luck,
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login