Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HD VA scheduled ratings

Posted by Shar 
HD VA scheduled ratings
April 06, 2015 05:42PM
I printed out the schedule of ratings for the VA dated 2/5/14. If you go to 4.124a-10 Schedule of Ratings - neurological conditions and convulsive disorders then go to number 8106 Chorea, Huntington's it says to rate as Sydenham's chorea. Then says "this, though a familial disease, has its onset in late adult life, and is considered a ratable disability." Ratings are 10% - 100% depending on where the illness happens to be. I sent in a claim for my husband and talked to someone at the VA who said they hadn't seen this in before so it must have just been added.
One of the gals at the VA said it should be a "slam dunk". Anyway, I called the other day and one of the representatives at the regional office said it was denied because it was not a "presumptive" condition. I haven't got the paperwork back but may appeal it. It looks like this should be the same a ALS or Parkinsons and maybe because it is newly rated they haven't dealt with it before.
Just thought I would put it out there for those who are veterans as it might be something they will eventually rate.
Re: HD VA scheduled ratings
April 07, 2015 08:52AM
Right,

Last year, I ran this route with VA for Ms. America. Her disability claim was supported by diagnosis and clinical observations/information from John Hopkins, a fourteen year medical history from primary care provider and copies of hospital medical records from falls. DENIED - service records did not show/support HD diagnosis or symptoms In there lies the key/crux of the matter, not service related.

Prior to submitting a claim, suggest service medical records be independently reviewed by neurologist with HD creds, for any indication service member was treated for HD symptoms while on active duty. If evidence shows or points to a thread where treatment suggests underlying cause are symptoms - then that finding should be on top of the submission. Have found known/recognized medical centers, i.e. John Hopkins, carry a lot of weight with the VA. With all due respect, local primary care providers (doctors, physicians assistants, nurse practitioners) just don't have recognized creds in this business.

VA is electronically processing claims. Which means claims are digitized, then scanned for key words, dates and places that pertain to the vet's disability claim before adjudication by an admin type, probably not a medical person. Which means forwarding letters, claims, findings (see above) should contain words/phrases in the VA regs/documents/schedules that describe the rate able disorder to get through the scanning process.

Also, VA will designate a vet with HD as catastrophically disabled, separate from a claim for service connected disability. As a minimum that means the vet gets bumped up to Category 4 for medical benefits - no copay for medical services or meds.

All that said - believe there may be basis for a separate action/clarificaton given the fact VA determines a vet to be catastrophic disabled due to HD, but not is rate able for disability. It will take someone with more experience with VA processes, legal expertise and political astuteness than I to chase this to ground. Before that is undertaken, it would be beneficial to knew how many vets are pHDs. In my way of thinking this could be a commendable undertaking for the people in the ivory towers, aka HDSA.

form the south of Maryland, good luck.
Fred Lothrop
Re: HD VA scheduled ratings
April 07, 2015 02:34PM
I look forward to hearing how your appeal goes. Please keep us updated.
My husband is retired AF and in the VA system as they provide at home care for him. He displayed no obvious symptions while in the AF, and was officially diagnosed 11 years after he retired. However, as I look back, I remember undiagnosed psych issues and bad decision making, etc... began while he was still in the AF. Sadly, I didn't know to have him thoroughly worked up before he left. He was awarded 20% disability due to asthma and other lung issues that developed right after the gulf war. It would be better if he were to get 100 percent disability so that I wouldn't have to pay taxes on his retirement from AF.
Best of luck to you in this journey.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login