Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Upgrade on the horizon ...

Posted by SteveI 
Upgrade on the horizon ...
September 15, 2014 09:05AM
I'm finally finishing up some projects for my company that have consumed me for the last couple of years, so I'm starting to find some time to refocus my attention back to the hdlf web site. I'm way behind on upgrades. A first for me was that I even received a couple of emails from the Drupal software development team telling me that they would like me to upgrade asap. So "feeling the pressure" I kicked off the upgrade project this weekend.

As part of the upgrade I will finally replace our Phorum message board software. It works well but it hasn't been actively maintained by the original developers for a couple of years. I will be replacing it with Drupal. Some of you may remember that I tried this a couple of years ago but ultimately abandoned the effort because the pieces we needed weren't there yet. It looks like they are now. This will be a significant transition but I expect that one of the advantages will be a significant reduction in spamming. Another goal of this upgrade will be that we will be mobile phone friendly.

Coffee and computer
Steve
Re: Upgrade on the horizon ...
September 15, 2014 02:58PM
That's great news Steve. You and Marsha have done such a phenomenal job for us here at HDLF. There really is no way to repay that sort of kindness.

I don't know if there is anything any of us can do to help but I am willing to try if you need help with anything.

Mike
September 15, 2014 06:27PM
Many thanks Steve. You are halfway to heaven for good deeds!

Good job
September 15, 2014 07:14PM
Of course I was hoping he'd spend more time with me after those work projects were finished, but I cannot compete with another software challenge! Coffee and computer
September 16, 2014 07:46AM
Thanks for the support. I will probably ask a few kind souls to play around with the new version in a sandbox that I will set up. This will be to make sure that it runs smoothly enough to roll out of the shop. As always there will be some tuning that needs to be done once it hits the street.
Collateral damage and unintended consequences.
September 16, 2014 08:05AM
Of course, I've already "broke" the live site as part of this effort (but spotted the problem and resolved it this morning). So if anyone sees something that was working but is no longer working please post it on this thread. I'll check it out. Thanks.
September 16, 2014 09:01AM
Steve,

I looked at my account in the Control Center and it said my last activity was on 02/07/2036 01:31AM Did you build a time machine? smiling smiley

Will
September 16, 2014 09:21AM
Will, that goes to show just how effective your exercise/vitamin regimen really is.......you may be on to something.

Mike
September 16, 2014 09:23AM
There are actually 4 people whose "last activity" is dated 2/7/2036 (smiling_sara, howard, Will, and Eric).

This comes from the current phorum software which I am not going to touch. But when I migrate the current posts to the new forum I will make sure that the bad date is corrected.

Thanks for letting me know.
Private Messages
September 27, 2014 02:42PM
I'm continuing to make progress as time allows and in addition to contemplating my navel I was wondering if there was any value in migrating the private messages history. I tend to think not.

So unless someone can convince me otherwise then the historical record of private messages will be dropped during migration.

Of course, current phorum posts will be migrated along with all users that currently have one or more posts. This is my opportunity to flush all spammer registrations down the toilet.

Board members that have registered but have never posted will have to re-register because I cannot distinguish between them and a spammer who registered but never posted or a spammer who's posts I have purged.

If you have any questions please let me know.
September 27, 2014 03:17PM
Pull that lever Steve......
September 27, 2014 03:32PM
Ready on the Right. Ready on the Left. The Firing Line is Ready. You may commence firing! I don't see any reason to keep those.

Will
September 27, 2014 10:12PM
ixnay ethay oldway ivatepray essagesmay
October 17, 2014 07:15PM
Hey Steve, just wanted to let you know, for the last couple days, and this has never happened before, I have gotten several new posts on threads, that don't show up until a good couple hours after they've been posted. Posts that are posted after a particular post has been posted, will show up first, and then a couple hours later a newer post comes up late
October 17, 2014 07:28PM
Continued from my above post:
Here's an example Steve. Laura and Pete posted long before Nalo's post today, but on the forum, nalo's post showed up first, and laura and pete's did not show up until a couple hours after nalo's. I know that first, by the time on the posts, and second, when laura and pete's finally showed up as a new post, it did not go to the top of the forum, it went below nalo's. Any ideas Steve lol smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 07:29PM by Barb.
November 09, 2014 12:20PM
Time machine sounds fun...wonder how different things are in 2036? The new upgrade sounds like it will be a huge benefit to the site and anything that gets rid of those nasty spammers is a huge plus as well...I am looking forward to playing in the new sandbox steve. Thanks for all you and Marsha Lynn do for this site.
No need to complete with the computer Marsha Lynn he married you in the flesh which makes you 100 times better then any computer. So am I talking with the Lynn from 2014 or from 2036? How could I possibly know the difference? lmao
November 24, 2014 06:15PM
Thank you for all you and Marsha have done and are doing . This is the only site I use to express myself and digest by reading what others are going thru.

Sandi
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login