Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

great new info dry mouth from meds and all stages hd for Dental Work

Posted by dustyblues 
great new info dry mouth from meds and all stages hd for Dental Work
July 23, 2014 11:58AM
[mun-h-center.se]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 03:58PM by SteveI.
Re: great new info dry mouth from meds and all stages
July 23, 2014 04:23PM
Excellent pdf!

Grab it now and share it with your dentist.

Thanks Dusty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 03:57PM by SteveI.
JFB
July 23, 2014 06:21PM
Thanks Dusty. Maybe the title should include more about general dental care as I almost didn't open the PDF.

As the article mentioned, I have seen very little about the importance of dental care. The one thing I didn't see (and I can'f find again) is that there could be a higher incident of respetory and cardiac problems with poor dental.
July 24, 2014 12:30AM
i am edentulous due to HD (that means Toothles
in my 40s my dentist asked why do you grind your teeth. Once i knew i really had HD he was concerned for me. for most of my life i see the dentist every 6 months because waiting lomnger meant more cavities. taking celexa for 7 years caused severe dry mouth, dry eyes and cataracts. my bottom front teeth were the first to get so loose. they had to be pulled. when you have teeth you have to fill he hole with something because your teeth move around. I had a flipper. my dentist was very good at managing paan from dentures but he retired.
i went a special for disabled teaching cliniic at u of t but you had to pay.
thhen i went to teaching clinic at Uwo but I was told i did nopt have special needs
When I moved from the country to guelph i was told i needed 11 teeeth out. Wwe were on welfare which only pays for a small filling then they just pull teeth. once your teeth going you spend months waiting for an oral surgeon all with mouth pain and absesses. i get pneumonia every time i have a tooth out.
i decided to go to rosses dentist because i saaw in oakville and i though he might be smart enough to figure what to do with my now horrible mouth. at that point i had two horrible lopoking but functional teeth on top which held the detures.I had one big tooth left and a canine which held the lower denture.

he passed me to another dentist who liked to clean teeth with a pick. she broke every tooth which hurts alot. i have always had dental phobia,but i find nobody notices when i say That hurts. Guelph hospital has one bed for a oral surgeon so i had a mouth from hell waiting or that bed . I had a general for the rest of the teeth. I was in such pain for monthes after from sequestra which is little shards off broken bone or tooth . all the pain meds were making me bleed rectally.

but because i had my teeth out in guelph my family doctor would not see me for that month

it also marked the begining of needing thicken fluids. i live on ensure. it was over aa year befor i could eat a banana

my tongue has coreoathetosis . typical for hd. this really prevents dentures from working. they hurt.

I asked my oldest friend who is a nurse from hosspital if i had to go on in pain frm dentures and she said if they were ppainful and the denturist could not fix it, it was fine.

a large part of my dental problems have been caused by ignorance. i hope we have a cure soon but nearly everyone with hd rejecting dentures, some have to move to long term care

people with hd move . the point of the article is they know more on various stages

i loose weight all the time have severe dyphagia

i have figured that my nose needs to be open or nothing goes down

the dry mouth prevents starches from getting digested in the mouth.

doctors believe in biotene which haas zyletol . i have had swollen glaands for month, that hurt,one lump in tongue was sso big and painful. all my salivaary glasnds are stunted, so i threw out evry biotene product. im now using thayers dry mouth spray and the lumps are gone.
August 16, 2014 09:53PM
What PDF? I would like to read it.
August 17, 2014 07:49PM
The link that Dusty provided in her first post is a link to a PDF. Click on it and then from there you can save it if you'd like.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login