Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Avoid gluten, dairy and soy???

Posted by Waz1980 
Avoid gluten, dairy and soy???
August 17, 2014 03:40AM
[news.therawfoodworld.com]

Can anyone shed any further light on this?
Re: Avoid gluten, dairy and soy???
August 17, 2014 08:58AM
I'll let Marsha comment on the technical side of this, but I think they've cobbled together some real studies to sell their own stuff. There's nothing wrong with eating wholesome, raw food, but it's not going to cure HD.

Just my opinion.

Will
August 18, 2014 08:05PM
I agree with you Will. Click on her name and she is a "therapist". Nothing wrong with "therapist", my wife is one (lucky me!!!). Perhaps she has some insight but the information is disturbing especially since a person with HD in a certain stage may take it as gospel and change some very good habits. Who knows.

I will share something. Once I went to a Nature Path (sp). I was exhausted, desperate and in need of some relief. When the man told me "I can cure you of Huntington's"; I knew I waaaaasssss at the wrong place. Funny he had not been on the cover of the New England Journal of Medicine or something similar.

For what it's worth.

Mike
August 19, 2014 01:39PM
I haven't found anything in the research literature to suggest a link between soy and HD.

As for gluten, a disportionate number of HD patients have a gluten intolerance or celiac disease. Not everyone, not even most, but more than you would expect given its occurrence in the general population.

As for dairy products, here is the history. Many years ago, some researchers were looking for factors which might produce a sooner or later than average onset for HD. They threw lots of stuff into the pot for analysis and one of the factors which came up as significant was drinking a lot of milk (earlier onset). Some folks took note of it and reduced dairy intake. However, my perspective on this was that more data would be needed because of the way the study was done.

Here's why. The standard for statistical significance is whether the likelihood of something happening just by chance rather than causal connection is 1 in 20, (.05). If I have a theory of why a particular food might be dangerous based on knowledge of HD, and we do a study and it does seem to be associated and the significance level is .05, then that's a study to pay attention to.

If however, I throw 20 things in the pot with no theory behind them, one of them will likely achieve .05 significance just by chance. Let's say I examine whether you have an A in your name, a 4 in your street address, how often you go to the movies, your favorite color, whether or not you go ballroom dancing, and 15 other random things, one of them is going to seem significant, not because it affects HD, but by chance. It's not wrong to do an exploratory study, especially when very little is known, but the purpose is to find factors to further investigate, not to draw conclusions.

Now that said, a recent study once again did show a statistically significant correlation between dairy intake and age of onset in HD positive individuals in the Pharos study. So maybe there is something to this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login