Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

need info

Posted by croatiaHD 
need info
May 27, 2014 02:25PM
Hello,first i would like to apologize on my english
!my father is suffering from HD and I must say that we are not in such a good relationship because of some things but it does not matter now! Since moving quickly in his house husband wants to go with us and I am for it to put him in a home, because I can not imagine that a man that we screwed up childhood living with us, especially because of the illness that has simply impossible for myself and the baby, because until we have read your posts hunts scare me, because I do not want my child looking outbursts of wrath, aggression .... A question that I begged you to tell me how BETA HCG in your case and your experience!! do not know what to do and what to think ......
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ANSWERS
Re: need info
May 27, 2014 05:44PM
Welcome. I am sorry you are in this situation. We all have felt the fears you are feeling. You are not alone.

Your decision to care for your father will be a difficult one. You need to consider how it will affect you, your marriage and your child. I do not know how HD is treated in Croatia. In USA we have medications that are helping greatly with aggressions, mood swings, and movements. Caring for a person with HD is more manageable if they are taking medications, but still is VERY challenging to any family.

I do not know what BETA HCG that you are referring to is. The medical term I know for Beta HCG is a pregnancy test. I doubt if that is what you are asking about. Do you have another name for what you are questioning?

Patty
May 28, 2014 04:29AM
hello,thx for answer Patty!Sorry,i didnt mean BETA HCG i mean CAG,he is having CAG 45 and 51 years old,what can i expect with that CAG number!
thx
Sanela
May 28, 2014 04:39AM
I forgot to write abaout medicals only what we have here is HALDOL,nothng else!
Haldol only reduces recoil and nothing else do not have the drugs, which means when you go rage or do not know what but I have to admit that we are in trouble, I'm sick and knowing that I'm at risk and I do not want to test because I was scared! Disease was discovered 4 years ago . and symptoms has already been a long time safe 7-8 years. maybe more but considering that the ex-alcoholics do not know exactly because he was drunk the day and night and is constantly shaking, falling .... So I do not know since when exactly has symptoms ik it still has PTSD (CROATIAN TITLE) of war.
Thanks for your answers
Sanela
May 28, 2014 10:11AM
The CAG count can be a guideline to provide an average age of onset (range of ages.) Onset may also depend on other factors. Your father's history of alcohol use and war stressors might hasten his onset. Every person is different. My husband has CAG 43 repeats. His symptoms started around 36-38. At 46, he is in mid-late stages. Your dad has a higher CAG and is older, see how there are variations.

I would hope there are some other medications available other than Haldol. Other antipsychotics, such as Risperidol have been helpful for my husband. He also takes anti anxiety pills (Paxil and Xanax) to both help with his anxiety and relax his body movements.

I looked at the HDYO website to see if there are resources closer to you. The closest I saw were in Slovenia and Serbia. Perhaps those contacts can give you some much needed local information.

[en.hdyo.org]

I hope this helps you.
Patty
May 28, 2014 03:26PM
Sanela,

Welcome. Your English is just fine. It's far better than my Croatian. Patty has some good advice. Haldol is an older medication for HD in the US. I believe it is only used in late stages when nothing else is working. It would be a good idea to find something else for him.

Will
May 28, 2014 11:35PM
Ha ha Will. Far better than my Croatian as well!!
May 30, 2014 03:31PM
thx for answer about drugs here is HALDOL only option,nothing else,RISPERIDOL is waiting to come on list free drugs,othervise is verry expensive!i have also problem with him because he doesnt wont to drink that evry time,just horiblehe is sick,he doesnt wont to drink drugs and i must stuck with it!its really hard!
thx for support!!!
May 30, 2014 03:58PM
Patty,

Is RisperiDONE a generic form that would work the same way? Walmart has it for only $13.30 for 60 tablets, far cheaper than Risperidol. I assume mail order pharmacies in the US would ship anywhere overseas with a proper prescription.

Will
May 30, 2014 11:19PM
Yes, Will. We actually do take the generic. (rather he does.) RisperiDONE is generic for Risperidol.

He has all generics at this point, other than the Xenazine. That one is wicked expensive. If it wasn't for charity assistance, we could never afford the copay.
May 31, 2014 07:38AM
Hello, i thought i would post to give you some comparisons for your father. My husband is 50 years old and has a CAG of 45. He is also on Haldol for the past year. He is in the later stages of HD. He had previosly been on Risperdal for a long time and then it stopped working and he became very aggitated and we tried differnt meds over a course of a year and nothing seemed to help the aggitation (not anger) more like extremely aggitated and restless/extreme OCD!! Doc said try the haldol and if it doesn't work.....well, it worked for him. It was our last resort. Then about a year later we started seeing problems again we uped the clonazepam and that didn't work by itself and then the doc doubled his dose of zoloft and now we are settling down into a calmer house again after a long rough year. I know people say Haldol is not a good choice, but sometimes it is the right choice when the other meds just don't work after awhile. Since to me this whole journey is about quality of life and not quantity of life (some in the past have said Haldol may make the disease progress) well, if that's the case then I. Thought let it help my poor husband progress past this severly aggitated state because he was miserable!!! It is good again now. He is in advanced stage and needs someone beside him to walk and is incontinent 50% of time and we feed him.
The others are right that the Alcohol I am sure has advanced your father with the disease. If Haoldol is ALL you have acess to then I would use it and see if some antidepressant at higher levels can be added. The higher levels of zoloft with the Haldol is what is making it possible to still keep my husband in our home with the family and not in a facility. Don't feel bad if you need to put your father in a home to care for him. If you have baby at home it maybe theat given the choice for you and your family that is where your father would want to place him.
Lizziean
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login