Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Lost and Need Advice

Posted by jennie1977 
Re: Lost and Need Advice
April 21, 2014 10:37PM
Will and Mikee and Shar...

You couldn't be more right about Barb!

This is good advice for anyone, HD or no.

I would agree that when you do good things for yourself, that goodness reflects from you, thus be returned to you.
It's also a state of mind (which is where my struggle is)...to think positively and productively means to see positive in return; when you are negative, you are almost blind to good things.

Barb's advice is invaluable Fairy

Thank you all for your support and wisdom
April 21, 2014 10:38PM
Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 10:40PM by jennie1977.
VRE
April 22, 2014 09:07AM
I agree Donna, it is so hard to just grieve! You feel like you are in a whirl wind and sometimes I was just so hurt and angry at him that I just couldn't look past that to the bigger picture. We are losing them. The real them. I know in my heart, that HE wouldn't want to act the way he was acting. He NEVER in 22 years acted that way, that's how we knew something was wrong. It's hard to come from that angle, but when you can just stay calm and just think things through, and step away; far enough to see the whole picture, it is the monster, HD responsible. It is robbing them of everything. Medications can and have made things better...for me, but the side effects from some of the meds are really not giving him the quality of life he was looking forward to in retirement. He sleeps a lot and when he's not sleeping, he's sleepy.

So, now that MY pity parties are mostly over, I can really care for him in the way he deserves to be cared for.
As Barb has said we were proactive regarding our finances and living wills and long term care and making decisions about things that are hard to talk about and easier to put off, it frees both of us up to do what we have to do before those decision HAVE to be made.

Still Praying for the Cure! Trusting God

Vicky
April 22, 2014 08:05PM
For what it is worth, my wife is a social worker and loves her job and clients. Although professional (can't think of the word) doesn't allow them to disclose information, I have learned a few things about medication, albeit minimal by listening to her and co-workers. Meds and dosage work for a time and need adjustment. Medications must be stayed on top of and benefit vs. outcome weighed at all times. I think this applies to HD patients as well as it seems problems have some similarities to other mental illnesses.

Just for what it's worth,
Mike
eve
April 25, 2014 07:34AM
Wow Barb. I just read your post and wish you would cut and paste it to it's own topic post. It is so wise and I'm afraid it will get buried here and not read and it should be read by EVERYONE regards of gender or HD status.
PS feeling happy you found a good guy to have in your life. You deserve wonderful people around you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login