Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Cannabis drugs

Posted by GFG 
GFG
Cannabis drugs
March 26, 2014 09:18AM
My husband is not tolarating Tetrabenazine and there are 10 drugs out you can take

[medicalmarijuana.procon.org]

anyone had luck with any of these, when we lived in a state where he could have a Medical Card , he took marijuana in pill form and it helped with many things , we now live in a state we cant have so anybody have feed back much appericated
Re: Cannabis drugs
March 26, 2014 10:03AM
This is an interesting topic. I don't have any knowledge but would like to learn more.

Mike
GFG
March 26, 2014 01:33PM
[www.psychologytoday.com]

The idea that THC can be used to relieve disease symptoms isn't a new thing - Glaucoma, HIV, and cancer patients have all benefited from the use of CB1 agonists whether in the form of marijuana leaves or a pharmacologically similar product (like dronabinol). Nevertheless, the idea of using THC or other CB1 agonists for the treatment of HD is pretty new. There have been a small handful of studies but only one well-constructed experiment that used a placebo-controlled crosover design, which yielded some positive results. The results of this study suggest that THC and other CB1 compounds may not only be able to improve symptoms in already symptomatic HD patients, but also slow down the progression of such a devestating disease. Good news all around and a great use of THC as far as I'm concerned (medical use and removal from schedule-1 anyone?!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 01:35PM by GFG.
March 27, 2014 07:27AM
Marinol, (dronabinol )is a synthetic THC which likely does not fall under the same state regulations. My husband has taken it successfully for years.
GFG
March 27, 2014 08:22AM
what has it helped with , moods, movements ??thanks
March 27, 2014 12:38PM
Both moods and movements, actually. He started when he maxed out on Xenazine dosage.
April 01, 2014 12:01PM
I've heard that medical marijuana can help with mood and movements. Of course, it will be killing brain cells though (and do we really want more of that?!). It will also slow down the thinking process. Which, again, we have to ask ourself if it is something we are ok with. So, my husband and I have talked about it and have decided that we think we will try it only if things get really bad and if other things aren't working. We've joked about taking a road trip to visit friends and family in Colorado so we can try different varieties and determine what works best with the least side effects. You don't have to be in a state that has legalized marijuana though to get a prescription for thc in pill form. Talk to your doctor.
April 03, 2014 02:00PM
I have 2 sons with HD, CAG repeats very close. One smokes marijuana and has since he was a teen. The difference in the two is striking...the one who smokes is older, worked longer, still lives on his own, has had minimal Psych issues...the other needs assistance with all ADL, lives with us, cannot drive, has been hospitalized and has had to live in NH. He never did any smoking or drinking.
Our neuro says the jury is out on it, I personally think it has value for Phd's.
There have been published reports that marijuana has neuro-protective properties. Certainly has fewer side effects than most of the meds they are using.
If it helps, smoke it.

Carla
April 03, 2014 04:54PM
I would definitely vote to give HD sufferers marijuana. As a matter of fact, I think the caregivers should also be given a prescription too! What a wonderful life it would be.
April 04, 2014 02:42PM
Djcloc

Yes! if only I weren't subject to randoms for my job!!

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login