Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Still manic

Posted by Edwina 
Still manic
August 01, 2013 07:31PM
Any advice, husband is still manic and delusional along with OCD. Went thr ought alb idly , did not wo rk, new meld geodon , increased up to 80mg, started la st night. He wants to move away, be divorce , go on dates, have sex. This has been going on for a. Month and half. I have tried reasoning with him, but he can.t reason. I have showed him infor on hd, and how, he can be bipolar,manic, OCD, and delusional. He is planning the sale of his house, has managed to convince a broker to give him a loan, and, wants to cash in the assets. Of his Ira accounts. HELP
Re: Still manic
August 01, 2013 09:52PM
Oh my, do you fave gaurdianship or power of attorney? Sounds like you may need to talk with a financial advisor &/or have his medical docs determine if he is competent. IDK ...
August 02, 2013 10:30AM
Spoke with a lawyer already, that could take months. I decided to see someone t o help me get my head straight on all of this. I know this is all hd, but this is way to much. Meds don't work, or maybe they just take longer? His dr. Would like him to be committed to the hospital, but I would have to call police to force him, to go, and yes he has been violent and has hurt me. So yes I could go that route, but I was told it would be best if he voluntarily was committed, then maybe we could get this under control, with his medications.

Is this all a lost cause. I am. Fighting for. I am meeting with my counselor early next w,eek, and I may just go ahead with a divorce,, which I haven all ready to go. The only thing that is holding me back, is I love my husband, and keep. Thinking I can help him, but it looks pretty bleak to me. I need alive too, and I don't need to be hurt a nay more.

What is everyone suggestions?
August 03, 2013 03:57PM
A medicine that has helped my husband is FLUEPHENAZINE, a rather older medication. My husband has been on it for 13 years.

You cannot reason with HD patients. That opportunity has passed. My husband was also obsessive, leaving the house, taking "gifts" to the neighbors, which scared the little old people! And I wasn't sleeping because I had to watch that he didn't leave. I felt myself dying, and I had to make the decision you are facing. I wanted to live too.

Blessings and prayers.
August 03, 2013 09:38PM
Obviously, this is a very painful time for you. Medications can help, but trudging thru and trying to get him to find the one that might make him more cooperative with you caring for him is key at this point. Sounds like he has been willing to take what medications the doctor has prescribed? My husband has always been cooperative with me and this disease and willingly to let me handle the doctors and speaking to them on his behalf since he trust me and i realize he does not have the capabilities to see the symptoms well from having to be the one with HD. (He is now late-mid stage) He knows I " have his back" on this whole thing and will take care to see he is taken care of. When he was going thru a stage that was very difficult for both of us, i told him repeatidly that he has to cooperate with me thru the symptoms of this disease or i eventually would not be able to contine to care for him at home like i wanted to. (It was a fact-not a threat). I work full time and pay for caregivers to be with him so i can continue with some normalcy with my life and working allows me to do that, plus bills have to get paid. If your husband is acting erratically i believe you must be as firm as possible with what you can tolerate and what you can't. Eventually, we resorted to Haldol as a med that made a huge differance with my husband. Numberous times on this board I read where Haldol is not the med of choice for HD (scared me away from trying it) and in the end i feel we went thru many months of extra chaos that could have been avoided if we had tried it sooner. We tried many other meds in the meantime that did not work, so we did give others a try. In the end, so far Haldol has done the trick where others didn't. Is he more sleepy and not his old self? Yes, but his old self was never going to come back due to HD and this med has made the symptoms tolerable for me and others to continue taking care of him at home for now, just like he had always planned and wanted years ago when he made out his advance directive.
You have to demand some type of cooperation from him if he is capable and if not then you have to decide what is right for you. If i have something i just don't know how to handle and no one can give me the answer i have found it's best to follow your gut feeling. What is your GUT telling you to do? Really telling you to do? I've found this to be a good indicator for what i need to do at the time.

Lizzieann
August 04, 2013 06:22PM
Well said LizzieAnn, I also have the same conversations with my sons. Unfortunately sometimes they go through these psychotic phases, which in our case resulted in Tim being hospitalized several times and living in NH for a few years. Finally, the disease has progressed enough, the medications are working well and he is home with us again. I expect my other son will go through these changes in one form or another and I will still expect them to understand boundaries if I am to be able to care for them. I am their Mom, their protector, advocate and caregiver but sometimes the choices are tough to make, but I make them anyway. Knowing that this disease will take many twists and turns and that each Phd is different, we learn to think on our feet and hold on tight.

Take care,

Carla
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login