Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Spinal Tap, Anyone?

Posted by tellie1 
Spinal Tap, Anyone?
June 06, 2013 06:21PM
Hi,

I participate in the Predict HD Study at the University of Iowa every year. This year, they will be adding a spinal tap, and maybe a Pet scan to my menu of fun. Have any of you had experience with either of these tests, especially regarding HD and the Predict Study?

tellie
eve
Re: Spinal Tap, Anyone?
June 06, 2013 08:58PM
I think the spinal tap is optional. You don't have to do anything you don't feel comfortable with. It's kind of a newly introduced test (they didn't used to include it) and I know there's a reason why they're doing it (don't know why...you'll have to ask and then weigh any info benefits to them versus if there's any risk to you as to whether or not you want to do this part of the study).
June 12, 2013 08:38AM
Hi Eve,

Thanks for your response. Are you planning on having the spinal tap?

tellie
mjg
June 23, 2013 12:01PM
I was in a study about, 6 yrs. ago, that, included, 2 spinal taps. Mine, were, easy. My, neurologist, reassured, me, that, she, was, good, at, giving spinals and she, was. She, complimented, me, on, takeing, them, well. Yes, I agree, you, should, inform, them, of, your,, concerns.
July 03, 2013 10:08AM
My neuro is talking about adding a spinal tap to my next group of tests. I have had very painful experiences with them in the past so I'm not looking forward to them. I think making sure your doctor does these on a regular basis is very important. Also they may or may not tell you that you will get a headache afterwards. I have every time and caffiene helps immensley. A nurse said to sip on diet coke or coffee the next day and the headache was very managable. I have a very high pain tolerence (I also have RSD in my left leg and have had numerous lumbar sympathetic blocks) and the spinal tap is much more painful for me.
July 12, 2013 12:58PM
Thanks for sharing your (painful) experience, Tenille. I decided to do it -- it will be at the end of July. I love coffee, so I'll be sure to have some around during and after! At the University of Iowa, it will be done by a team that specializes in spinal taps. It really is the same technique that they will be using for gene silencing in the (near) future.

tellie
July 17, 2013 04:22PM
Here's a link to a short video about the spinal tap:

[www.youtube.com]
eve
July 17, 2013 04:41PM
Let us know how it goes for you, Tellie
July 18, 2013 05:53PM
Thanks, Eve!

Tellie
August 01, 2013 01:06PM
Hi,

I went for my Predict annual exam this week, and they canceled the spinal tap portion. The two people before me both got serious headaches, and it was probably because they had taken ibuprofen. I had taken it, too, and they canceled it for me. (They had told us not to take aspirin, but didn't rule out ibuprofen). In its place, I got to do a PET scan, which was alot more fun! So, for future reference, if you are going to do a spinal tap, don't take ibuprofen OR aspirin, because they could affect the clotting, which would cause a headache.

tellie
eve
August 04, 2013 03:10PM
Very interesting!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login