Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

latest spammer

Posted by Marsha 
latest spammer
December 12, 2012 07:38AM
Every morning I get up and delete the middle of the night spam that's been posted. I deleted the span today but I just wanted to let everyone know that our latest spammer is calling himself HDLF orgy. Nope, sorry, we don't have orgies here. Wrong site, buddy. Good heavens!
Re: latest spammer
December 12, 2012 08:05AM
woohoo!
December 12, 2012 05:38PM
Maybe we just don't remember?????
December 13, 2012 08:22AM
maybe something like captcha would be helpful to get rid of spamers.

If you want to make an account you have to write words from a picture to pass the test, which can not passed by bots.
[www.captcha.net]
December 13, 2012 01:45PM
When we release the new look and feel for the HDLF.org site we are going to be putting into place a simple CAPTCHA verification.
December 22, 2012 07:48AM
i think chapcha verification is a good protaction for spammer. We should ignore spam activitis.
December 22, 2012 10:21AM
Yes, we should Georgetown. Of course, you happen to be one of the spammers.
December 24, 2012 12:09PM
The Phorum software has a setting for "Registration Verification": Here's the description:

This allows you to force users to follow a verification process after registration. You can have them verify either:

by email - a link is sent to the user's email address, which they have to click on to activate their account)

by moderator - a moderator must approve the user before their account is activated

I suggest using the "by moderator" option.

Here is a link to the Phorum docs:

[www.phorum.org]
December 24, 2012 12:50PM
Today's spammer struck in the afternoon which is unusual. He posted 93 times. Arghhhh
December 24, 2012 01:39PM
I think any one who misuses this site for private gain is a complete and total scum bag. Not only would not a single person here buy anything from you for that reason alone but you have also made a site full of ememies here. This is a site for people who need support...how dare you try to make a profit off that. You are a rude and heartless person. Go away...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2012 01:40PM by Kelly B.
December 25, 2012 08:52PM
Double dittos to what Kelly said.

When we set up this new site site a couple of years ago we played around with the captcha feature but I decided we would try to make a go of it without it.

Since then we've had over 26,000 spammers attempt to register. This week I've flushed them down the toilet and have enabled captcha. Thanks to EricR for refreshing my memory.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Steve
December 26, 2012 02:06PM
Steve--That was actually my watered down version. lol
Merry Christmas to you too and thanks for all you and Marsha Lynn do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login