Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

In-home assessment

Posted by fossilbear 
In-home assessment
December 24, 2012 05:42PM
Hi All,
I'm a new poster and have a question about HD. My mom has the disease and is 62. She is still mobile but is shaky on her feet and has had some falls. She and my father live in a 2 story home with at least one stair going into every room. My dad thinks it's OK that she still uses the stairs to go to bed and get around the house. We (their children) are concerned that she will fall and hurt herself.
What I want to know is if there are people that do in-home assessments to see if she should even be living there or if she is too disabled to live in such a home.
We are also interested in in-home care. My parents have long-term care insurance but it has a 5-year lifespan and my dad is hesitant to use it for fear that it will run out.
Finally, our dad is the primary caregiver for my mom and seems to really drag his feet when it comes to my mom's health. He also gets very defensive and explosive when we bring up the subject of her care. How does one approach a person like this and get them to accept help and acknowledge there is a problem. thanks in advance.
Re: In-home assessment
December 24, 2012 06:47PM
You can ask her physician to order home health care for the in home assessment. nursing and therapy services should be covered under her health insurance (Medicare or otherwise) for short term needs in the home which are deemed to be medically necessary. Fall prevention and education as well as strengthening for your mom would both qualify. The in home therapist would meet with your parents, assess how your mom moves throughout her home and make recommendations based on their findings.

Long term care insurance is more for longer term custodial care. He is right, you wouldn't want to start that too soon, because the services may end when he would really need them.

I am the wife of a man with Huntington's and a home health occupational therapist. The tough thing with Huntington's, is at times all the "protection" in the world cannot prevent a fall. The limitations are of coordination, not necessarily strength. I am often reminding my husband about the need to hold onto the hand rail while on the stairs, it makes a world of difference.

Time of day can make a big difference on function. My husband times his shower around when his meds kick in the best, and he feels safest. He came up with that one on his own.

Your dad is probably in a tough place right now. Perhaps he sees giving in to having an assessment as the first step toward decline and he is afraid to acknowledge it. Not sure.

Hope it goes well,
Patty
Re: In-home assessment
December 25, 2012 09:19PM
I've been through the transition of children leaving home. Eventually we see your independence and accept it(as best we can, you're still or baby's) . We, as parents are still in our homes as parents just as we have been for years. Change is not something we welcome as easily as we did when we were younger. Change is not bad and often it is the best thing. Try very gradual steps in the change process and this may help.
Best Wishes,
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login