Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Testing results back on Wednesday!

Posted by Apple-ary 
Testing results back on Wednesday!
August 06, 2012 11:56AM
Well... we finally made the decision to do the genetic testing. I had it done at UNC Chapel Hill. They did a genetic counseling session, followed by a psych evaluation and evaluation by a neurologist. According to the neurologist, I don't have any sign of the disease at all, not even early warning indicators. So if I'm positive, it hasn't become symptomatic yet.

I get the result of the genetic test back in two days. I was convinced I had it, utterly convinced, until the neurologist said I was currently asymptomatic. Now I'm feeling a little bit of hope... but I'm afraid it will hurt worse now if it comes back positive.

Anyhow, I've decided to do my best to praise God if it's positive the same way I would have if it was negative. I'll just be glad to finally know, I think.

Crossing my fingers...
Re: Testing results back on Wednesday!
August 06, 2012 03:33PM
Good luck! Hoping for a negative result!
August 06, 2012 04:13PM
Keeping you in my prayers for a good result
August 06, 2012 06:58PM
My thoughts are with you.
August 07, 2012 12:09AM
Thoughts and prayers to you!!!
August 07, 2012 03:28PM
Sending all good thoughts your way!

Take care,

Carla
August 09, 2012 07:10AM
Thank you all- that was really sweet!

The genetic counselor we met with looks at the results right before she walks in the patient room. In our case, she burst through the door saying, "It's negative! I've been jumping up and down in the hallway!" I put the file folder I was holding over my face and almost burst into tears.

I think the biggest thing this means to me is that all four of my children are now safe. My repeats were 16 and 19.

My sister also tested negative. We have two brothers who haven't tested yet, but we're two for two so far!

Incidentally... I spent the weekend with my mom. She's starting to fall some. She bent over to pick up something off the floor and fell on her face. My sister has finally gotten her an appointment though. She's seeing a doctor who specializes in Huntingtons at a new clinic in Richmond on the fifteenth.

So that was two pieces of good news this week! I told my sister about this forum and I hope she'll be joining it soon. Thank you all for sharing your experience. I haven't commented a lot, but I've been reading a lot of your posts and learning.
August 09, 2012 07:14AM
AWESOME!! I'm so happy for you and your family (and your sister too smiling smiley
August 09, 2012 07:41AM
congratulations!!!!
August 09, 2012 07:42AM
Great news! So happy for you and your sister!

Take care,

Carla
August 09, 2012 05:39PM
Wonderful news!!! I am so happy!!!
August 09, 2012 07:10PM
OMG, what WONDERFUL news for your whole family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such exciting news! Rose
August 09, 2012 08:33PM
That's so great!!! I'm so happy for you, too!!! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 10, 2012 12:17AM
That's wonderful news! I'll be praying for your two brothers as well. Hopefully your family will be 4 for 4!!
August 10, 2012 10:02AM
Thank you all so much! (weeping)
August 10, 2012 11:42AM
How wonderful!!!!!!!!!!
August 11, 2012 08:06AM
This is fantastic news! I am sooo Happy for you.
August 11, 2012 11:01PM
That is wonderful news for you, your sister and your children!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login