Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Testing a baby

Re: Testing a baby
May 21, 2012 11:13PM
I think it's best to try to help one another while still respecting each other's differences.

Of course it's important to consider whether the baby will have a healthy environment. But that's not always clear. I was fortunate because in my case, my family has late onset and I had a very normal childhood with an HD gene-positive mother. She didn't show symptoms until I was out of college. So because my CAG is the same as hers, my best bet is that I will most likely not have symptoms during my kids childhood years. But you never know what will actually happen.

We're all just doing our best in a very uncertain life. And when someone comes to me with questions about PGD, I applaud them for considering it. I don't know all their personal details, but I think it shows great responsibility that they're considering their options.

digging.deep, I think the doctor would have tested my kids even though you're not supposed to. (That doesn't mean all docs will.) There's usually a way around such rules, but that doesn't mean it's what's best for the baby. If you are really as concerned as you're expressing, I suggest doing CVS or amnio. But you may feel differently after you're pregnant. Feel free to email me at stacybrook@aol.com if I can help further.

p.s. Marsha, well said! Hugs.
May 29, 2012 09:32PM
I am new to the forum and don't want to step on any toes, but I did benefit from hearing all the new things about HD. After my mom died with HD 15 years ago (she didn't die of HD but drowned in the tub while being left unsupervised by my father,) I really did not keep up with the research. I moved out of the country and now am faced with going to visit my aunt, who has been diagnosed for over 10 years now. It will be hard. She sounded bad on the phone. In fact, she did not really seem to be able to place who I am, which was hard to take.
I guess what ran through my head while reading this thread is there are no guarantees in life ... there are so many diseases we can face even if we don't get HD... Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, MS. stroke, diabetes, brain aneurism ... life is problematical. Being raised in a family with a grandfather, 2 uncles, my mom, my aunt, great aunts, etc. my life has been very effected by HD even though I will never have it. I tested negative 12 years ago.

Thank you for this forum. It is really a light at the end of a dark tunnel for me. And the bantering back and forth makes me comfortable, like a large dysfunctional family. smiling smiley
June 04, 2012 01:03AM
MRO, I also agree with you. a neg test for the baby isn't necessarily having an HD free child especially if a parent has HD!
I am speaking from my experiences as a 41 yr old HD+ mother of 6 children. If all my children were HD negative, HD would still be a painful and hurtful reality in their life because of me and their grandma!! When a mother has to worry about being on enough meds to control her temper, its no good for anyone. When mom can't do all the things the kids need and they have to pitch in more, it hurts a momma's heart and the children's!! I know not all people with HD have anger or outburst problems like me, but many do. We don't know until it happens that it is happening to us. when I see my spouse looking at me more like a sick person than a wife or spouse, it hurts! To know he must feel so alone at times, heartbreaking!!
Now, I am in no position to say people should do one thing or another!! I do however thing as someone earlier said, People can make any decision, but an informed decision is the best!! Some people may never think of the things some people bring up, it may feel a little depressing and a little sad to hear the realities of some, seeing my own life heading there but in some ways it helps me prepare me and my family!! I appreciate everyone's comments about HD even if its a caregiver vent!!! To be honest, if my husband were the one with HD, I really don't know if I could support him as he does me!! I realize this is the hardest thing he has ever taken on!!
I love my family sooooo much and its hard to see me hurt them and be a burden, but it is what it is because of the decisions I have made. Maybe we need to realize that people are sharing hard earned wisdom that they got the hard way! Like we do with our kids, "Don't go down that road, I did and it brough much pain" I believe that no matter peoples experience we want to help protect anyone affected by HD!! Take peoples words for love and caring!! No one is here to hurt others!!
I hope you all can find the right decisions for you and find peace and happiness as you are living it out!!
Melissa
Melissa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login