Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Genetic Testing Help....

Posted by darrin 
Genetic Testing Help....
May 31, 2012 07:35AM
Hi Folks,

First time posting on here so hello to you all! I was hoping to figure out what type of options are out there for genetic testing anonymously. I have looked up the options that are recommended via HDSA and their center of excellences, but I do not want to go that route. From the Minnesota area, but would be willing to travel.

1. How do I find a site that would be willing to test anonymously? Does anyone know of places in Minnesota or surrounding areas?

2. Any recomendations on doing this? Any experiences from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS!
Re: Genetic Testing Help....
May 31, 2012 11:34AM
Hi Darrin -

We are in Cleveland, Ohio and there is a hospital here that will do the test totally anonymous. I know you are willing to travel, but wasn't sure if we are too far smiling smiley If you are interested, let me know and I can get you the information. My husband was given a fictious name and we paid in cash.

I have heard of others on here talk about their anon test experience, so maybe there is a place closer to you. I'm sure someone will chime in.

Jodie
May 31, 2012 02:56PM
I will PM you. I tested anonymously and think that was the right decision for me. It a little over $1000, similar cost to non-anonymous testing centers that I called. You pay with money orders, and just need a real phone number so they can contact you.

Best wishes all around.
May 31, 2012 06:00PM
Thanks for the comments!!

Jodie- Was the cost similar for you around $1,000??

Anything else is appreciated smiling smiley
June 01, 2012 07:04AM
Darrin - Yes... it was around $1000. Actually, my husband tested at the same place that Sara did, so the information that she shares with you is the same I would give you smiling smiley
June 01, 2012 09:57AM
When I tested anonymously it cost me a little less than $600. But I think that was because it was only one counceling session.
June 03, 2012 11:31PM
Places for any lab test now near Minnesota
Any Lab Test Now
www.anylabtestnow.com
Google+ page
4345 Nathan Lane North
Plymouth, MN
(763) 398-5115
Any Lab Test Now
www.anylabtestnow.com
Google+ page
8587 Lyndale Avenue South
Bloomington, MN
(952) 746-5520
Bloomington, MN Blood Tests | Minnessota Lab ... - Any Lab Test N

I know they will test anonymously. I believe the last time I checked the test was $750. Thats for just a blood test. I recommend having a person set up to get counceling from after the results!
Melissa
June 04, 2012 05:21AM
Hey,

I am from Minnesota too...went through testing a few years ago. Prior to testing, I researched some of my options, but eventually tested at HCMC. I didn't submitt to my insurance until AFTER I got my results!

There is place I don't think has been mentioned yet where ananymous testing is an option, the cost isn't too bad either. It is called Compgene, you can google it, located in Milwaukee, Wisc. (I know it's a drive) but the whole testing process isn't quite as drawn out as some centers. I think it can all be done in 1 or 2 appointments, quick and easy. (remember the info I have is from a few years ago, so it may have changed)

I would keep in mind what you are looking for in means of support during the testing process - if you desire more in depth genetic counseling or follow up care, HCMC would be a better choice.

Take care and wish you the best during your testing journey!
-Kjunie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login