Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

IVF/PGD

Posted by mjdelcon 
IVF/PGD
December 08, 2010 11:34PM
In reading about the wonderful baby news, I just had to ask something I've been wondering about for awhile. Would the sperm for a person in late to end stage HD still be viable if their spouse wanted to possibly have a baby still through PGD/IVF? I'm not saying I'm necessarily contemplating this and there's obviously been no type of sexual contact for many, many years, but I just wonder if sperm were taken from the pHD at this stage of the disease, would it be okay . . . if that makes sense?
Re: IVF/PGD
December 09, 2010 04:14AM
I have no idea regarding US law or biology,but surely consent by him would have to be granted?It could then be argued would he be able to understand what he is consenting to?Be interesting to see what others put......
December 09, 2010 07:07AM
I don't know the answer. My question might be considering HD is a neurological disease primarily affecting the brain... where do you think men's brains are? winking smiley
December 09, 2010 07:24AM
That is an interesting thought.
December 09, 2010 03:33PM
lol, Eric . .that's debatable! smiling smiley
December 09, 2010 06:56PM
Love your comment Eric! I think the sperm would still be viable, but I would question the consent.
MRO
December 10, 2010 06:15PM
We had two rounds of IVF, one successful and one not. The first one was successful, 1998. My husband probably had some symptoms of HD and I was unaware. Our second round in 2003 was unsuccessful and one of the reasons the dr noted was that something had changed in my husband and the health of his sperm. He felt that if we did a sperm washing we would have had better success. I always wondered if the health was effected by sypmtoms,Which in 2003 were more apparent than not.
December 10, 2010 07:50PM
Thank you all for your comments. Obviously, since I asked about it, I guess I think about the possibilities . . . but I know this would not be good for anyone involved . . . I have just ached at times for another baby (even though my baby is 18 now) . . . sometimes I just still long for another child with Ray, but we made the decision a long time ago (when Ray was diagnosed) not to have any more children. When I hear about success with PGD/IVF, I just feel this certain kind of hopefulness. The implications for a baby growing up without his/her dad, though, are too great. When I really think about it, I know it would only be from my own desires and not what's best . . . some things were just never meant to be. And I know I am so blessed and beyond grateful to have our Joey ... some people are never able to conceive or have a child. I'm so happy for those who can now have success with PGD/IVF too! Thank you all smiling smiley
December 11, 2010 01:22AM
Does anyone know if the man's sperm changes when he becomes symptomatic? Would this create a larger chance of either JHD or just passing the gene on than it would when he is pre-symptomatic?

Considering they now say that symptoms can occur up to 15yrs before onset of HD does this increase the risk of the sperm being affected and therefore passing on the faulty gene?

Buddybird
December 11, 2010 08:05AM
I'm sorry that I can't offer you any answers either. I just wanted to lend you some support. I do understand the ache of wanting a child. When my husband and I decided to have children and we knew that he was at risk (VERY at risk considering how much HD there was in his family), then we made the choice to do IVF using donor sperm. Looking at our 8 year old twins now, and also knowing now that my husband is confirmed to have HD and is symptomatic, for us it was the best decision we ever made. I just wanted to send you lots of (((HUGS))).
December 14, 2010 10:14PM
Thank you so much, Kristine!! That really means so much to me.
December 14, 2010 10:35PM
I really think I can help... I have two of them and the price is $50 each. With the mail in rebate of 49.99.. your cost is only 1 cent each.
December 15, 2010 07:32PM
You can always put a smile on my face, Eric!! smiling smiley How are you doing? I've been thinking about you and your family.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login