Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Fungal Infection

Posted by lizceja 
Fungal Infection
December 10, 2010 10:56AM
My mom has never had a fungus problem.. She never shoes me her toes.. I have to beg her to do it !! I knew she had one toe with Fungus but last night she showed her toes and alomost all her toes are infected.. Is this part of the disease.. Or is it related to HD. We have a dr appt on Mon.. Im just worried now.. Please advice !!!

Liz
Re: Fungal Infection
December 10, 2010 04:07PM
What a coincidence! When my +HD Mom and I were at the HD Center this past Monday, she took off her socks and WHOA! Her toes are completely consumed by this fungus. This is just something that has developed over the past year. I also wondered if there was a connection with HD. In any case, she has gone to the foot doctor and they put her on a precscription anti-fungal for a while. It seemed to help a little. She ended up having to have one toenail cut off completely. They told her that her nails just need to grow out at this point. They also told her there was a chance that it could come back. In the end, the doctor told her there was no correlation between HD and the fungus. Hope this helps!
December 10, 2010 05:00PM
It probably has more to do with not paying close enough attention to her toes (with HD, not being very detail oriented) than being "caused" by her HD.
December 11, 2010 10:33AM
My daughter has had this to.
December 11, 2010 09:56PM
So does my wife. I took care of her toes and nails, so I know they got attention. Plus, I took her to a dermatologist and he prescribed common meds that did not work. We gave up.
December 12, 2010 04:36PM
Kim has this also. It's been attributed to her not changing her socks enough. If some of you remember back to when she wouldn't bathe and the rules we had to establish due to that the sock changing has been solved. So now I have to put a fungal cream on her toenails every night. It's really slow going as the nail is growing upwards not out if you know what I mean. They are only getting thicker not longer. It takes forever for the fungus to leave. If it seems more Phd's get it maybe it's due to not changing as often?
December 12, 2010 05:29PM
It might be from not changing, but my wife's doc said it was something in her blood that was causing it. I don't remember what his explanation was, so I won't say more. Nothing worked. It is a slow process. He was reluctant to try other meds over concern that it might adversely react with her HD meds. I had to pick my battles--I let that one go. It is a minor irritant. :-)

Interestingly, at roughly he same time, she began having other minor skin issues--e.g., psoraisis that we still treat with a cream as needed.
December 13, 2010 12:11AM
I have to say that this was never an issue w/my mom. Good luck with it though, I understand it can be difficult to get rid of.
December 13, 2010 10:21AM
So I'll let you know how it goes today..

My mom doesnt change her socks either!! lol. I buy my mom new clothes and new socks... Maybe about a month ago. Now shes wearing her her old socks and old clothes.. and her socks are funking.. and I asked her where are her new socks, she throws away her clothes when she pees on herself. She does this all the time !!!

If the doctor can help her.If I take her to get a pedicure, would that be too nasty..

Liz
December 13, 2010 11:35AM
I don't think she would be able to get a pedicure with an active fungus. Most salons will politely refuse the service due to the potential risk to other clients. Good luck at the doctor!
December 13, 2010 04:11PM
Try Vicks VapoRub [www.peoplespharmacy.com] My wife had one and was seeing some progress with Vicks. She finally decided to have the nail removed. That took care of it. :-)

Will
December 14, 2010 10:23AM
Well the dr. didnt want to give her pills for the fungus.. Because it would hurt her liver.. She gave me nail polish. Apply everyday and go from there. She said it didnt affect my mom in an way..

So Im kinda bummed out ! Waste of time but oh well.
December 14, 2010 11:08AM
It takes a long time. I painted my wifes toes for months and months with all kinds of things. She lost a couple of nails, and they came back with the same thing. She got some in her fingernails (and she was unable to touch her toes). Although this looks like a simple issue, it isn't. According to the dermatologist, Lamasil is one of the best meds for fungus, but it did not work. After you agonize over it for a while, you'll have to stop worrying. It is one of the things that I was not able to fix--and I hate not fixing things. :-)
December 15, 2010 08:32AM
Im in this stage where I want to fix everything for her. But I cant I get that loud and clear! but I just thought it would be easy to fix this. My uncle has some supplements from mexico and I will give it a try.

Thanks to all !
December 15, 2010 05:30PM
I thought it would be easy too. :-)
December 15, 2010 05:57PM
Me TOO, this putting cream on Kim's toenails is getting really old! lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login