Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

anesthesia warning.
January 27, 2008 02:08PM
The anesthesia isoflurane (brand name Forane) should not be administered to HD patients.

Click on the following link for more information.

[www.hdlighthouse.org]

Steve I
Coffee and computer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2008 03:37PM by Marsha.
db
Re: Dental anesthesia warning.
January 28, 2008 01:58PM
Thanks!eye popping smiley that is inportant to know . Tipping my hat to you db
db
January 28, 2008 02:00PM
Thanks!eye popping smiley that is important to know . Tipping my hat to you db
January 28, 2008 02:15PM
Actually Steve, you may want to change the title of your post. According to the article, it is used in all surgery, "including" dental surgery. The article said it is the gas they use. I just dont want people to think its only for dental surgery.
January 28, 2008 03:08PM
is this in the novacaine also? or just the "gas" that they use in dental work?
January 28, 2008 03:31PM
The gas most often used in dental work is nitrous oxide, sometimes called "laughing gas". I have sensitive teeth and use it for cleaning. It's good stuff. Almost as good as a couple of strong martinis. :-)

Will
January 28, 2008 03:34PM
the anesthesia the article is talking about is a gas that is inhaled, and it is used for general anesthesia. So your safe with laughing gas Will...hey, how come you get laughing gas and i dont??? lol im gonna have to ask bout that lol
PS am i the only one that read the article? lol It's not in the novocain, it's not in laughing gas. It is the gas used in surgery to put a person out, and it is also used in dental surgery, if a person is having dental surgery that's using general anesthetic. And it's not just a dental anesthesia, therefore, my suggestion to steve that he read the article and change the title of this post lol lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2008 03:38PM by Barb.
Re: anesthesia warning.
January 29, 2008 10:58AM
Barb - Nitrous costs me $60 each time I have my teeth cleaned. My dental insurance doesn't cover it. It's worth it to me. I probably get a deeper cleaning since my hygienist knows I'm not feeling any discomfort. You never lose consciousness - you just don't care what's going on with your teeth. To quote Henrdrix, it's a "Purple Haze".

Will
January 29, 2008 11:00AM
Make that Jimi Hendrix, not Henrdrix.
Anonymous User
January 29, 2008 12:03PM
General anesthesia has never been recommended for dental work to me.

I have a high tolerance for novocaine. Meaning that they can shoot me up with it many times - and I still jump right through the ceiling when they drill!

Finally, I met a wonderful dentist who suggested "laughing gas" (nitrous). Having experienced excrutiating pain every time I had dental work done - I said, "Anything! ANYTHING!!!".

He put an unobtrosive gas mask on my face (in my nostrils, actually). He asked me if I wanted music - and then put my choice of music into some headphones.

Like Will related - it was virtually painless.

But as far as dental SURGERY is concerned (to remove 4 severely impacted wisdom teeth) - I was again given local rather than general anaesthesia - but in this case a "nerve block". Many dental surgeons do not attempt to do this, since it requires considerable skill to aim the shot precisely into a bunch of nerves right at the back of the jaw, in order to be effective.

But if done correctly - it doesn't just numb a small portion of the jaw (like the standard novocaine shots) - it numbs that entire QUARTER of the jaw. Entirely!

I remained awake, throughout. Yet I (who had never been able to tolerate even routine drilling) - was able to undergo having my wisdom teeth chiseled out of their horizontal position with a little stainless-steel hammer and chisel with no pain, whatsoever!

I would strongly recommend anyone facing serious dental surgery (and who has a concern about general anaesthesia) - to ask about the "nerve block" option.......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2008 02:24PM by JL.
January 29, 2008 01:36PM
My wife has had two molars removed using general anesthesia and it worked well. They were out in 5 minutes--no chisels, tire irons, ratchet wrenches, hammers, or saws. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login