Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Mini-profiles & blogs cool smiley

Posted by Barb 
Re: Mini-profiles & blogs cool smiley
November 12, 2007 02:53PM
thanks!!! i am glad o have found you aslo.its a shame to meet such lovely and inspirational people under such grim circumstances.i look forward to travelling my journey with you all,and getting to know you all
tracey xx
November 12, 2007 03:01PM
Hi and thank you for your kind words!! everybody here has been fantastic and supportive,this site is amazing,and its re-assuring to know there are people going through all this together.i look forward to getting to know everybody.i know that this site will help both me and my husband with a lot of the unknown about my hd.
thanks again for making me welcome!!
tracey x
November 12, 2007 07:59PM
Hi I'm Stephanie, daughter of William, the greatest dad on earth. I am the primary caregiver for my dad now that his HD symptoms are fully in swing. He has a CAG repeat of 45 and is currently 71. We moved him more near me in Wisconsin so that I could care for him. He lives in his own house "two doors down" from us. He has a full day-time caregiver who helps us out...she is our angel. Both my sister and I have been tested and are negative. My cousisns have not been tested. We also don't know which parent the gene came from. Lots to try to figure out!
November 12, 2007 08:32PM
Stephanie, welcome to the HDAC, so glad you found us! I can't believe how incredibly well your dad is doing for his age, just amazing.
November 12, 2007 10:57PM
Stephanie, Welcome!! You will find this group to be amazing. we support each other through the easy times and the hard times. Everyone here is so compationate, and understanding. I wish you the best... violet
November 13, 2007 07:03AM
Tracey welcome! You have found a very loving and supportive place smiling smiley
November 13, 2007 08:53AM
Welcome Stephanie. How wonderful that you are able to care for your dad. I know what a job that is. Congrats that both you and your sister tested negative. You have definitely come to the right place.
November 14, 2007 06:07AM
hi fleur!!
just read over your post and it stuck a cord with myself.i have only been diagnosed 11 months,i received my results 2 weeks before xmas!! not good timing!!! i have a 13 yr old who is aware of hd is part of my life,and a 6 & 7 year old whom we have decided to keep unaware of hd due to their ages.the testing process is long here in the uk,took me best part of a year with all counselling ect.somedays its easier knowing than not and other days vice versa ignorance is bliss,one you know for definate u cant "un-know",and i thought i was ready to deal with a positve result...but i wasnt in the end up!! no matter how ready you think you are your not!! good support from my hubby and a lot of stress and tears have been shed.some days i think its kinder to leave my hubby so he doesnt have to watch me turn into a hd monster!! it makes the test harder when you have had kids already,feeling guilty that you could have given this terrible thing to the most precious people in your life is hard!!looking them in the eyes at their purity thinking they dont know what i could have given them!! but the plus side is we know what we will leave this world from,make the time good as a family,enjoy the moments and live life as normal as you can for as long as you can possibly do.. i hope this helps you??
love tracey x
Re: Mini-profile thread
November 15, 2007 06:31AM
Barb, please change my data in your sticky as follows:
Thank you. Bob

bob netx:
I am 71; have a CAG repeat of 40; and, am pretty much asymptomatic. Have two daughters (CAG 40-age 43, and CAG 43-age 45. I have been on a heavy, continuous regimen of vitamins and choline inositol since 1983 (several grams of Vit C and up to 2K IU Vit E); have often supplemented those with HD-helpful 'things'. 50/50 certainly doesn't hold in our line (six in a row plus my two)
Re: Mini-profile thread
November 15, 2007 09:38AM
All done Bob...smile
December 05, 2007 03:35PM
Hi Barb, Sorry i just realised i haven't done this bit...

Ladycashel: I am 32 yrs and tested gene positive in August this year cag 43. I am married and have two lovely daughters both at risk aged 8yrs and 3yrs. My Mum has HD early stages aged 51yrs. My Nan died of HD aged 74yrs but had been ill for as long as i can remember. I have been posting since August and have really LOVED and cried with the forum members posts. I have found this site to be a great place to meet people who understand, and to gain more knowledge of Hd. I am really grateful to have found you all.
December 06, 2007 12:07AM
Oh awesome Lady, thanks so much!
January 16, 2008 12:26PM
My name is Erin. I am 27 years old, I'm happily married, and have two little girls. I am also at risk. My father recently found out that he does, in fact, have HD. His mother ALSO had it. He has 4 biological children, aside from myself, there are my two older sisters, and my younger step brother who are all obviously at risk. I, FOR SURE, would like to get tested. There are also 8 grandchildren that are at risk. All of this is a huge shock to me and I am having quite a hard time dealing with it. I'm generally a very happy, upbeat, giggly person, and lately I've just been extremely depressed and have been doing nothing but crying on and off. It's good to know that there are other people who understand completely what I'm going through. I really need this.
January 16, 2008 03:18PM
Welcome Erin!!

You sure are in the right place. It must be tough to find out that you are at risk AFTER being married and having children. This is certainly the place to be to find the support you need. We all have a lovely community here and try to keep eachother upbeat, not sure about the giggly part, but definitely upbeat.

I'm 28 by the way with 2 at risk siblings at 40 and 23. Between us all, there are 4 grandchildren potentially at risk as well. Mom had HD 30 years and had 3 siblings out of 5 with HD+ diagnosis as well. It was on her moms side and is rather dominant there too. More than the 50/50 I mean.

Great to meet you.

Melissa
January 16, 2008 03:50PM
Erin, thanks so much for posting your profile, helps us all get to know each other so much easier, and welcome!
January 24, 2008 12:46PM
My name is Julie Sando Teuber
I am know as Jvabean or Upwithhd. I am an old timer within this site.
I lost my mother at 64 to Huntington's two years ago this past January 5th. I went through being at risk for 5 years before going through the testing process. I tested negative. I have five family members still at risk. I have walked the road of being at risk, testing, and being caregiver. My blog is listed on this site under blogs A Cup of Jva.

[wwwjvabeans.blogspot.com]
January 25, 2008 05:24AM
Thanks so much for your profile Julie...i'm sorry i forgot to add it into the profiles yesterday, but it's done now smiling smiley I enjoy reading your blog sometimes, it's very very nice
February 06, 2008 04:11AM
My husband Bob has Huntington's Disease. My name is Bonnie and we have identical twin sons, Robert Jr. and Ron. Bob and I have been married thirty-eight years. It has been a struggle as Bob also has Epilepsey which thank goodness is controlled. Bob has had a very hard time since nine years old living with a disease, but when diagnosed with Huntington's in 2006 life has been very hard. He keeps his sense of humour, but I have found him crying at times. He has almost lost his speech and his balance is very bad. Yesterday he fell twice while taking our little dog for a walk. He has promised to use a walker now and our little dog will sit in the basket. Watching him deteriorate before my eyes is so very hard. His mind and spirit are still there but his body and speech are not. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this disease. I wish more people understood the disease. Bob worked as a Personal Support Worker with palliative patients. He was so kind and caring. Now it is his turn. Bonnie
February 06, 2008 08:30AM
Bonnie, such a moving story... I can imagine your pain, and I can understand his tears. Thanks for sharing.
February 06, 2008 09:39AM
Bonnie, so good to meet you. I agree that your story is moving. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Melissa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login