Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Mini-profiles & blogs cool smiley

Posted by Barb 
Re: Mini-profiles & blogs cool smiley
November 08, 2007 01:55AM
Carla, thank you so much for your mini-profile. There's so many new people lately, and i just love having these mini-profiles, so much easier to remember and get to know people. And i want to wish you the very best on your fundraiser, let us know how it goes for sure smiling smiley
November 08, 2007 02:36PM
Wishing you the best too Carla. Welcome

Melissa
November 09, 2007 06:50PM
Melissa, how are you doing with everything? I know it must be hard with your mom and all right now. I would love to talk.Its great having this message board.
thanks for welcoming me. violet
November 09, 2007 06:52PM
Barb,
I didnt know you like to sew.. I just made my mom a quilt for christmas and made my 2 nephews blankets also. I love it... Violet
November 09, 2007 07:14PM
Oh Violet, i would love to see a photo of the quilt you made? Do you make many quilts? I like making quilts too, have some projects i'm working on...smile
November 09, 2007 07:20PM
I'm doing ok Violet thanks for asking. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing too ok as it really isn't emotionally bothering me. I don't know if it is because we had an opportunity to say a wonderful good bye to eachother or because I went through the grief process about her a long time ago. I know I'll feel differently once she's made it to heaven, but for now, I'm ok.

I see that you like to quilt. I do to. I have 2 pigs right now (projects in grocery sacks). I worked for a long time today on a top for my pastor's wife. I hope to have it done by Xmas, but there's a double that I need to throw into the frame and get quilted before Xmas so the lap size might have to wait. If you go to the mug shots you'll see a pic of me with one of the quilts I just finished. It was my first long double size. As wide as a double, but 108" long so it could cover the pillows and hang over the edge a bit.

Melissa
November 09, 2007 09:21PM
Yes, you do great quilting melissa!
November 10, 2007 08:24AM
I dont have any pics but I sure can take one. I was going to do a very special one for her with pictures for her, my sisters and Grandkids but it was way too much hassle to get my sisters to snd me pictures of their children. This is my first quilt and it was fun. I also made these really soft blankets for my nephews and my oldest sister says shes putting her order in now so I can make her one for next year. lol I'm always making something.I'll have t send you a pic.
Melissa I have a few PIGS also. I just havent got to them yet but I'm workin on it.

Violet
November 10, 2007 08:34AM
Oh Barb....I can't find my emoticons....you make me blush. Thank you. I've been working on more. I found another charity that gives small lap quilts to hospice patients for Xmas. The pattern is super easy and I've already made 3 and am working on 2 more. Plus my own projects I have going on. Gee thanks barb...I mean it.

~M~
November 10, 2007 10:56AM
Violet,

If you look through the current pics #'s 33-36 (as the numbers are always changing) you'll see my most recent trip to see my mom. If you look closely in her lap, you'll see a fleece throw I made mom. She always has it with her. My aunt and gramma launder it carefully to prevent shrinkage. One time, about a year after she got it, they forgot and the nh purexed it in hot water. It only shrank a little bit and hasn't shrunk since.

I wanted to make her a quilt, but decided against it because what they don't purex they bleach in super hot water. I found out that once fleece shrinks the first time, it doesn't shrink anymore. It works great for nh patients.

You'll have to look clear back through the pics a long way to find my first big quilt I was telling you about. At some point, if we exchange email addy's, I'll send you a pic.

Have a great weekend.
November 10, 2007 04:48PM
Melissa
I dont what pcs your talking about. sorry..I would love to see them though, if you could point me in the right direction...I made a fleace blanket for Mom once and My sisters took it home and never braught it back.We have had alot of theft at the nursing home so unfortantly we watch what we buy her now. nothing expensive anymore.I know she will love this quilt because I love it. lol
I want it fr myself. lol ..Violet
November 10, 2007 04:53PM
Oh, her quilt photos are in the forum mug shots, the link is on the left side of the forum page.
November 10, 2007 04:56PM
oh thanks barb Violet
November 10, 2007 05:04PM
Oh I seen it and I also seen another one. very pretty Melissa. ..Violet
November 10, 2007 05:31PM
Thank you. I appreciate it. Make sure you are using 100% cotton of good quality if you are making a quilt for your mother. Most nursing homes use very hot water with purex and bleach for normal laundry. Other types of fabric will shrink AND fade.
November 10, 2007 09:31PM
oh i did. I found some really pretty fabrics. it took me along time to find all of them. my fiance went with me and he said I'll never go to the fabric store with you again.lol.Thats ok he rushed me anyways. I told him he can stay at home.lol There is so many beautiful fabrics its hard to pick sometimes. Thats good to know what they use. I hope it doesnt fade too much though.
November 11, 2007 01:53PM
Hi i am Tracey,32 years of age married mother of 3 children living in the UK. I tested positive 11 months ago.My father had hd and died from it at the age of 56.i am the only person in my family to have the disease,that we can trace back. My children havent been tested as yet.Trying hard to be as "NORMAL" as possible at the mo.Been in bit of denial,bit of depression and quite bad insomnia!!just think this website is the best and my heart goes out to you all and all your families.I have a fantastic and very supportive husband to hold my hand all the way through this.Its a shame to meet such inspirational people under such crappy circumstances!!!!
November 11, 2007 06:36PM
Welcome Tracey!! It is a shame, we all agree, but it is nice that we can find people who understand what we are going through. I look forward to getting to know you better. Again welcome.

Melissa
November 11, 2007 09:06PM
Tracey,
Welcome...Its great you have such a great supportive husband. I just resently got on this website myself and there are extrodinary people on here. I have found this website to be a great resorce and comfort. If you ever need to talk we are her for you..

Violet
November 11, 2007 09:33PM
Hi Tracey, and welcome, i'm glad you found us! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login