Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Ordering Blueberries in Canada

Posted by Ron&Lisa 
Ordering Blueberries in Canada
December 30, 2005 02:56AM
Is there anyone on here who currently orders Blueberry extract and/or softgels? if so,please let us know where from and the costs.If you are in Canada as we are, that would be most helpful.Also if anyone else from anywhere has any info on the berry's effectiveness in regards to giving it to a PHD please let us know.Thank you.
Re: Ordering Blueberries in Canada
December 30, 2005 07:58AM
The evidence for blueberries is indirect. Blueberries are a powerful antioxidant and there is solid evidence of oxidative damage in the brains of HD patients as well as patients with other neurodegenerative disorders. Oxidative stress also increases as we age.

Here's an explanation of oxidation and a chart of antioxidant rich foods:
[hdlighthouse.org]

Although antioxidant rich foods are a great idea for everyone, there seems to be something special about blueberries.

When rats are fed blueberries in their diet prior to the administration of a neurotoxin, they experience far less brain damage than a control group of rats.

Blueberries also appear to have anti-inflammatory compounds and are associated with neurogenesis in rats.

[hdlighthouse.org]

Researchers are currently testing antioxidants such as CoQ10 in HD patients. With limited resources, I doubt they are going to test a food already known to have health benefits which people can go ahead and eat right now.

December 30, 2005 10:50AM
Ron and Lisa,

I'm HD positive (CAG 40) and wild blueberry concentrate has been part of my supplement regimen for about 3 years. I recently added pomegranate concentrate. Both are sold on-line by www.brownwoodacres.com The blueberry concentrate cost is about $15US per month.

I have no symptoms at age 59. However, I have noticed changes since I began HD specific supplements. My mind feels sharper, I feel calmer about life, and my driving seems to be better. The sensation is that my vison has improved, but that's not the case. It might be just better brain health, or I could have reversed some early HD symptoms.

Will
Raleigh, NC, USA
January 09, 2006 04:35PM
Have blueberries proved to be effective on humans?
Has there been a study done on humans to see the effectiveness?
And if so, if someone is starting to show advanced symptoms, is it effective in either halting or reversing those?
Thank you
judi
January 09, 2006 11:56PM
No studies with people, Judi, and I doubt if there will be. With scarce resources, no one is going to spend the ten million dollars it is currently taking to do a clinical trial in HD to study a food item.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login