Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

amitriptyline usage /also hives

Posted by db 
db
amitriptyline usage /also hives
December 12, 2005 04:34PM
Please give me some insight on a med. amitriptyline in usage for my mom not sleeping well.Is this drug compatiable wih moms HD or could it have any undesirable side affects? also mom has hives for the second time in three years we are unable to find the cause .The DX. has been giving her Benadryl to keep the hives under control.Does anyone else have problems with hives what do you do ? And is this a related HD problem ? Thank You in advance . db
SteveI
RE: amitriptyline usage /also hives
December 15, 2005 12:17PM
I went to [www.mentalhealth.com] to see if there was anything that looked like it would concern me. Since there hasn't been anyone else responding to this then I would assume that this isn't often prescribed for those with HD. I did find this in a discussion regarding juvenile HD..."Antidepressant drugs such as amitriptyline, desipramine, and fluoxetine are helpful in adults with HD, even without overt signs of depression." If I had a choice though, I'd go for the SSRI.
db
December 15, 2005 06:15PM
Thank You Steve from all the recent info. I would agree with you .I am going to mention this once again to my dad as he is the primary caregiver for my mom. We have been thinking about an app. with the genetics DX.who told us to phone any time if we had concerns with moms health in regards to her HD It has been a little over a year so I think we should take him up on his offer .We have been putting this off . My moms family DX. would do any thing we ask but he is not as up to date on the MEDS of special interest to HD clients.Thank You for your INFO.and your time . db
Sally
December 16, 2005 07:52PM
db,
where are you from? I'm in Nova Scotia and can certainly try to help you find a doctor that could help if you are nearby.
db
Re: RE: amitriptyline usage /also hives
December 18, 2005 11:19AM
Dear Sally I am interested. I live 100 kilometers from HFX .My parents live in HFX.I am a little weary of putting my email add. on this letter .I would love to talk to you .I am not very good at this keyboard like a chicken in a barnyard I just do a little pecking.Have you ever gone to HFX for any support meetings? Ihave looked at their times on their E bulletin board and thought of going. You realize the irony of course is that we might be related. The Genetics DX was Walsh.Thank You for answering my letter.I hope we can figure a way to talk keeping in mind my father is more secretive than the CIA. db
Re: amitriptyline usage /also hives
December 19, 2005 04:37PM
I completely understand how your father feels. My husband is the same. Would love to talk....hope you received my private email.
db
December 19, 2005 06:46PM
Iam not ever going to get used to this computer.I sent you a message private I hope somehow! db
December 19, 2005 08:44PM
I see that you sent me a private message, but I can't open it. I don't know why.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login