Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Reflux and amped up during feedings... chorea?
October 27, 2015 09:43AM
I was wondering if any of you have experienced this. My wife is taking Xenazine and it has for sure tamped down the chorea generally speaking, as far as involuntary movements.

I am trying to figure out if psychotic behavior can in fact trigger movements, when a trigger is enacted, such as over-excitement when it comes to eating. My wife can be relatively calm sitting on the couch watching TV, but when she comes over to the table (especially for breakfast, first meal of the day), she goes into what is best described as a pyschotic episode while seated in a sturdy chair at the table.

I can't say for sure that it's chorea. I do know that she gets "amped up", starts rocking back and forth and swinging her hips and legs, like she has a an electric prod up her backside. Needless to say, breathing is of the desperate variety with huffing and puffing, and it's difficult to eat even small pieces of scone or muffin with water. Then there is the reflux in which some of the food is thrown up, not due to vomiting action, but a backup of food in the esophagus. I have this issue myself with a hiatal hernia, so I know how hurried eating and lack of improper chewing and relaxation can cause reflux.

Any ideas from any of you are appreciated. When this episode is happening I have to wonder if she would benefit any from increased dose of Xenazine, but then I am thinking that maybe she needs an anti-psychotic dose increase for the "fit to be tied" episode. She complains "hot, cold, hot, hungry" and works herself into a frenzy.

Thanks all, appreciate any advice.
Re: Reflux and amped up during feedings... chorea?
October 27, 2015 08:06PM
I don't know if it's the same thing, but my husband has for years been very noisey and excited with rocking and chorea in the mornings. Not calming down untl later in the morning when the morning dose of meds start taking effect. Talks out loud to himself, etc. I always attributed it to the meds wearing off during the night. After about an hour of being up and med dose, then we give him a large breakfast and usually high in protein and with a full belly he starts to settle down around 10 or 11 am. He rises at about 5 am.

Lizzieann
Re: Reflux and amped up during feedings... chorea?
October 30, 2015 11:42AM
Thanks Lizzieann for your comments. My wife gets up at 9:30 AM like clockwork in the mornings. She takes her meds and is eating within 10 minutes as she complains she "starving". I believe her too, she eats voraciously and may be part of being amped up.

I will keep my eye on things. It's a bizarre thing because when it's going on, whether it's perception-induced agitation and not the classic chorea, it's like a wild rollercoaster ride in which you would think her meds were not even taken. Very strange. She does better with lunch, which is always a smoothie (around 12:30 PM). For sure, that is later with time for meds, but it's also a different eating action in which she doesn't have the stress of chewing and swallowing food. Smoothies are just easier meals for her, so it seems.

Thanks again, really appreciate your response and insight. Ty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login