Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Help

Posted by Janigirl 
Help
May 12, 2015 03:09PM
Hi everyone,
I'm feeling totally sad and frustrated today. My son lives with me and along with being HD positive, he has substance
abuse problems. He also has irrational anger and makes things up. We rent our duplex, and yesterday my neighbor
called and said he's tired of hearing yelling, cursing, beating on doors and walls all night. I don't blame him, but what
do I do with my son?? Kick him out to the streets??? I don't feel that would be any good, but if this continues we may
be evicted.....he's angry even when sober and refuses to take his seroquel........only clonopin when he can't a drink........
I'm very frustrated, and feel he needs to l live somewhere else, but he's not bad enough for a nursing home.
I've had him detoxed many times, and yet he seems content to drink his anxiety away...........I know I should kick him
out, but he'll end up hanging out with homeless meth addicts if I do..........yuk, hate this!
Re: Help
May 13, 2015 01:06PM
Janigirl,
I have no idea what to say that would help your situation but I want you to know that I am so sorry for what you are going thru and that this is a wonderful place to vent.
I am also a caregiver of a HD husband so I can relate to how you feel.
There are no easy answers.

Liz
May 13, 2015 01:46PM
Thanks Liz,
I'm glad someone responded.
May 13, 2015 02:06PM
Janigirl,
You are very welcome. Just know that you are not alone. We know what you deal with on a daily basis.
I have a blog on here called "my story" I don't get many response anymore. Ikd why. Maybe because it has gotten so long or maybe people are just tired of reading it.
Anyway, sometimes it just helps to type it on here. It seems like it releases some of the frustrations.

Liz
May 13, 2015 03:41PM
I know Liz........maybe there is another site with more caretakers than patients who might be able to provide
more information and help. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Janigirl
JFB
May 13, 2015 07:12PM
I can very well relate to the neighbor complaints.
on a far fetched ideal, given HD is a disability, maybe discrimination can be applied and the property owner have to make consessions to accomadate. Might be worth a call to a lawyer
May 14, 2015 09:09AM
Janigirl,
this is the only site that I know of. It has been very helpful to me over the years

Liz
May 16, 2015 11:04AM
Hi, If your son has been diagnosed, has he applied for Social Security Disability so that he has some income? If not, apply for that and possibly the supplemental income as well. Contact some social workers or a community liaison who works on housing issues who can help you locate some housing for disabled adults. There is usually someone in municipal government that works on housing and should be able to help you. Also, if there is a Center for Excellence or HD support group, they usually have a social worker who is very knowledgeable about HD and community resources. In Colorado, there are a couple of non-profit companies that provide affordable housing. One of them is called Mercy Housing, andI know that they are national. They have a home for adults with special needs and disabilities. Your state government probably has an ombudsman office that could provide you with resources and contacts. Volunteers of America sometimes runs shelters of various types.

I wish I could say it will be easy, but unfortunately, it will probably be time consuming and frustrating. In the meantime, you need to take care of yourself so that you can take care of him. And you won't be able to do that if you get evicted.] As you know, it is difficult to find a place once you have an eviction on a rental record. You may need to kick him out while you try to find a place. You might have to put him in a weekly rental hotel/motel kind of place, so that he at least isn't on the streets. They aren't very nice, but they are cheap.He might have to go to a homeless shelter for a while. I know that none of this is ideal, but it is a start.

I can't imagine how wrenching and heartbreaking this is when it is your child, but you can't help him if you end up being evicted, too. Also, you have to be safe. Are you? Does he direct any of this rage at you? please make sure you are safe and then you can help him. Best of luck.
May 16, 2015 01:45PM
Thank you very much for the much needed information. He thinks he doesn't need any "special" housing...major denial.

We do have a COE here, but the social worker hasn't referred to any housing as of yet. She's frustrated too....I don't quite
know how to handle him, but I won't let myself get evicted. I have been here 7 years and landlord really likes me and my
rental history, but doesn't know of my son's illness or problems........yet! So, I am working to make sure there are
other possibilities in case we are asked to move.

Thanks again for your response and care.
J
May 24, 2015 05:16AM
There is a facebook site called Huntingtons The Good, Bad Ugly and also a private caregivers group. I am on both. My husband has HD and bith have been very helpful
May 24, 2015 09:38AM
Thank you very much Vicky...I'll check it out smiling smiley
JFB
May 24, 2015 09:58AM
If Vicky is reffering to the Yahoo group, that would be

[groups.yahoo.com]

You will have to submit a request to join, but the reply should be fairly quick
May 24, 2015 03:32PM
Thanks so much because I couldn't find it just goggling it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login