Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HD bracelet or ID Card

Posted by Hope2 
HD bracelet or ID Card
March 31, 2015 10:58AM
My ex husband who has HD was pulled aside and detained recently by police who must have thought he was drunk because of his gait. He was on his way to a work party and it was awful - they called the EMT and he was held up for an hour. I think he needs to have some way to identify the HD like a bracelet or a card. Does anyone have info on what is available. He says he will talk to his doc at his next appointment but I thought I'd see what info I can get here.

thanks very much!
Re: HD bracelet or ID Card
March 31, 2015 02:34PM
HDSA has a card which is fine for more detailed explanations but I worry about police misunderstanding why someone is reaching into a pocket. I recommend a bracelet from American Medical ID or their GI-like tags because the sight of the red medical symbol will usually defuse a tense situation. I cannot remember exactly what I had engraved for my first husband but it was something like "I have Huntington's, a neurological disorder which affects speech and gait. Call my wife at .....
Re: HD bracelet or ID Card
April 02, 2015 08:33AM
We use MedicAlert bracelets - Linda for HD and the old man for heart condition. Based on our input MedicAlert has medical histories, meds, copies of medical directives, emergency contacts, with an 800 number for respondents to call. No fumbling for wallets, purses or lost cards. For example, Linda's bracelet has "Huntington's Disease Call Immediately" with the 800 number engraved on it which precludes potential delays when trying to reach "call my wife".

Also use LifeStation home monitor system - has a call button to use if Linda needs help, e.g. a fall, and no-one is immediately available. LifeStation calls local respondents /EMTs who show up prepared as a result of access to her medical data, medical directives and emergency contacts.. Given pHD physical and cognitive problems Life Station or something similar is a good safety net for care givers.

Good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login