Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Anyone on disability leave?

Posted by cougs4ever 
Anyone on disability leave?
March 26, 2015 04:24PM
I work for a health care company in the US. They would pay me 66% of my current salary when I go on long-term disability.

Does Social Security pay anything? Are the benefits difficult to get?
Re: Anyone on disability leave?
March 27, 2015 08:54AM
I just recently signed my husband up for his long-term disability. HD is now classified as a sympathy disease.

Here is the link re: social security disability and Huntington's - once you file, it should fast track.

[www.socialsecurity.gov]

we are filing in Tennessee. I don't know if all the states are the same.

Good Luck
Liz
March 27, 2015 11:03AM
Thanks Liz

Chris
March 27, 2015 11:46AM
When my husband went on long term disability, the LTD company required him to also file for SSDI. They, in turn, contract with a company called Allsup that helped him file for soc sec disability. It was no cost to him due to the LTD requirement that he file.
Allsup took care of gathering the required documentation from his doctors and filing on his behalf. While we waiting for SSDI to be approved, the LTD company paid his full benefits. Once approved and SSDI sends the back payments, we reimbursed the LTD for what they've already paid out. Now the LTD company pays us the difference between what SSDI pays and what his benefit should be.

So say his total benefit due (66% of salary) is 2000.00 dollars a month and SSDI only pays him 1500.00, the LTD company pays him the difference of 500.00.

Hopefully that makes sense.
March 30, 2015 10:57AM
I'm a PHD who is in earlier stages and am struggling with what I do for work everyday. Kind of in a award stage where I can do simpler
things at work and still drive locally. I used to do field service work and my company has taken that work from me so I don't have to travel
anymore which has helped a lot. My company also has LTD that pays 60%. I don't know if they require SSDI though. I wonder what would
have happened if you had not qualified for SSDI for whatever reason would have your company LTD paid the full amount? Trying to
understand more about LTD as I'm probaly going to need it someday soon.

Mark
March 30, 2015 08:43PM
Hello Schlinky1. Glad you found us. You didn't mention your cag, always a question here I guess.

Ltd should cover even if SSDI does not (generally speaking). Understandably you aren't going to be flush with cash on disability. Actually I suggest working as long as your employer will allow without jeopardizing your job. Not being able top work really sucks.

The mental aspect is pretty tough. I can relate to what you are saying. When things you do on a daily basis, things that were second nature become a test of your ability, it really makes you think.

Life before HD was really good. Life is still good.

Mike
March 31, 2015 10:17AM
Hello Mike

Thanks for responding I've been on here for a while watching and learning this website has been a great help to me. I'm 56 with a CAG count
of 41. I was diagnosed 4 years ago and on lexapro and resperdal for movements. I find I'm having a hard time doing things such as basic
housework just no drive to keep things up at home. My workplace has taken away much of what I was doing to make things simpler for me
but my job is technical in nature and I'm having a hard time remebering technical things. I read a manual and it just does not sink in. Goes
in one ear and out the other. I also am having a harder talking to customers. I try to do as much e-mail as I can. The plan is to go as long as
I can like you suggeested and then go on work disablity. But as you said very hard facing the fact that what you once where in no longer the case.

Mark
March 31, 2015 11:13AM
Hi Mark

I work in the reimbursement field. The laws are always changing, especially with regards to Medicare. My short term memory is terrible. I try to write everything down I can.

I am 46 and living at risk.
April 01, 2015 08:44AM
It's tough knowing what to do really. What you described is pretty common and not knowing exactly what to do and when as well. It can really work on you mentally knowing you are losing some of your abilities. Try to stay positive.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login