Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HD and Eating Habits

Posted by hfoster 
HD and Eating Habits
February 09, 2015 04:06PM
My wife has starting loosing weight, not drastically, but lost about 10 lbs, I'm trying to get her to eat more and often, but doesn't seem to have an appetite. Was wondering if ya'll have any suggestions to increase intake. She's been taking Xenazine for about 9 months, has really help, the occassional choking has totally disappeared. Know worrying about her calorie intake, she's not interested in eating and when I pressure her, the irratation factor increases quickly. Any thoughs
Re: HD and Eating Habits
March 16, 2015 09:44PM
Oh gosh, I'm sorry your post wasn't noticed, or maybe nobody had any helpful advice. I have just thought, the med she is on can cause depression, and if she is depressed, that could cause her to not want to eat. Just an idea
Re: HD and Eating Habits
March 17, 2015 07:17PM
That is a bit odd, because the successful use of Xenazine should help maintain weight as it lessens the movements, generally speaking. But as you mention, the appetite has decreased. My wife doesn't have that issue, she is hungry all the time, but she also has tongue/swallowing issues still where we rely heavily on smoothies.

Speaking of smoothies, I would suggest making a smoothie for your wife and load it up with whey protein (two scoops) with some frozen fruit and juice and banana. Good for you. Now this will "stick" to one where their appetite won't be as voracious, but then again, maybe your wife is needing some healthy food to give her energy, which in turn will stimulate the appetite.

I don't know, that is a conundrum. We went through the twelve pound weight loss event, and we ended up increasing Xenazine as my wife was amped up and moving a lot and burning calories. Maybe others can opine as to a safe and true appetite stimulant, but I bet exercise and decent sleep would help.

Good luck, hfoster. Hope it works out for you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login