Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

crying?

Posted by schydawg 
crying?
January 24, 2015 09:48AM
Recently, while watching TV with my husband, I have noticed that he will cry if the storyline is at all sentimental. He has never reacted this way before in the 35 years I have known him. He has had symptoms for more than a decade, and is, according to his neurologist, in late middle stage.
Has anyone else seen this?
Re: crying?
January 28, 2015 05:15PM
I am 57, and an HD carer. For most of my life, though I might be moved by a sad or sentimental story line, my eyes stayed dry. But gradually as I entered middle age that changed, and now I find myself welling up over just about anything! I know the same is true of other men of my age, so I guess it's an old bloke thing, rather than an HD thing.
Re: crying?
January 31, 2015 09:50AM
It could simply be due to be a sentimentalist. I hear certain songs which bring a tear to my eye because they affect me in an emotional way. Sometimes it is the beauty of a song, and other times it is the song puts you in a place, back in time which you enjoyed loved ones' company and you are realizing that those days are in the past.

Memories are great things to spur you on in life, but it's bittersweet because those exact events... well, "we may never pass this way again" is quite true. But new memories are being made today to help you live in the now and find purpose today.

Jim Valvano summed it up quite nicely in his famous speech...

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that’s a full day. That’s a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you’re going to have something special."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login