Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Medical Marijuana and HD

Posted by cwyoungh 
Medical Marijuana and HD
December 21, 2014 09:01PM
I just received an informative letter from our PA state senator in Harrisburg. He informed the people that a possible law allowing Medical Marijuana (not smoking nor vaporizing) was defeated. He referred to a list that said that some claim that medical marijuana helps HD. Here is one article I found

[www.theweedblog.com]

Just wondering if any good serious medical research has been done on the topic.

Thanks.

Curt
pal
Re: Medical Marijuana and HD
December 22, 2014 08:53AM
So funny you posted this I was about to ask if anyone has tried
Sativex , my husband had a card in MT where it was legal he took in tablet for with good results

[www.truthonpot.com]
December 22, 2014 01:09PM
Thank you. how many CAG repeats does he have? How long did he have HD symptoms when he started Sativex? Was he real bad with he started it? How dramatically better did he get? I have 41 CAG repeats.

Thank you

Curt
December 22, 2014 01:59PM
Every state should legalize medical marijuana, not only for persons with HD, but caregivers too!

(yes, I am being a bit silly during the yuletide)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2014 02:00PM by TylerFitz.
December 24, 2014 01:35PM
I totally agree!!! Hey Merry Christmas too!
January 28, 2015 03:28AM
cwyoungh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just received an informative letter from our PA
> state senator in Harrisburg. He informed the
> people that a possible law allowing Medical
> Marijuana (not smoking nor vaporizing) was
> defeated. He referred to a list that said that
> some claim that medical marijuana helps HD. Here
> is one article I found
>
> [www.theweedblog.com]-
> help-huntingtons-disease/
>
> Just wondering if any good serious medical
> research has been done on the topic.
>
> Thanks.

As far as "Just wondering if any good serious medical research has been done on the topic."
ANSWER: NONE. There is ZERO money backing research here where there is HUGE buck backing synthetic drugs.

Unfortunately there are drugs like tetrabenazine has really harmful side effects main one being inducing suicidal tendencies ...which people with HD have MORE THAN ENOUGH OF THESE ALREADY. Whereas, whole marijuana , eaten not smoked has BOTH the soothing effect as well as reducing the movement. Like pain meds for pain, this is pain meds for emotional pain. It is no cure, but it sure makes this awful 'LIFE” easier to survive. IF these HD groups cared more about the PEOPLE that supporting DRUG COMPANIES, this would be approved.

I have HD and diagnosed over 15 year ago. I DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING synthetic. I also have a HD and Proper Nutrition/Exercise/Lifestyle group where we discuss all the unconventional treatment.
Hope this advice helps smiling smiley
January 28, 2015 06:59AM
ganerd, it's interesting that you cite marijuana as having a soothing effect while reducing movement.

I do not have HD, my wife does. I don't know that she has ever tried mary jane in her whole life. I do know that when I had some back in the college days, that it actually amped up my legs where they couldn't stop shaking. Sorta like keeping your foot planted on the floor, while your knee bounces up and down.

Now one could surmise that this is because there is other stuff in there, and that the govt approved marijuana won't be laced with any impurities, but I have a feeling that some people get the limbs shaking a bit as a reaction to the levels of THC.

True enough, it is certainly supposed to mellow you out. But like anything else, it can have a side effect. I would welcome the opportunity for my wife to give it a try with some gummy bears, but I don't live in Colorado.
January 28, 2015 07:00AM
I am going to be in Colorado in a couple weeks, so maybe I should go to one of those dispensaries and get a bag of gummy bears, bring it home, and see if my wife finds it helpful. Hmmmmm.
January 28, 2015 10:29AM
Oh.....she will! My daughter loves the brownies and they mellow her out..........we live in California.
February 02, 2015 07:12PM
Hello everyone.
In my experience, Marijuana is one of the best drug treatments for the symptoms of HD. I have watched 2 sons living with HD...one has smoked pot forever and one has never smoked pot in his life. Their CAG counts are 48 and 51, so quite close.
They grew up in the same household so environmentally the same. One of them needs assistance with all facets of daily living and can barely walk or talk while the other is nowhere near as progressed. When my son who smokes doesn't have marijuana his symptoms dramatically increase in severity.
It needs to be legalized for all.

Take care,

Carla
February 05, 2015 11:31AM
Hi,
Illinois is an approved state, and they are opening a dispensary in our little suburb of Chicago. HD isn't on the list of approved diseased, though!
I'd try it if it were!
Judy
February 25, 2015 11:11AM
tellie, just now getting caught up on the forum. I was not aware of Illinois law.

I did not have time to THINK about a dispensary when I was in Denver on business. Just way too busy and I also fear the risk at the airport and now is not the time to lose one's job over something like this.

I am encouraged that Chicago is only a five hour drive for me, in case I had to do some trekking to get some sample gummies or brownies for my wife. She gets really worked up prior to and while eating. I don't even know that I can describe it anymore as "chorea". She just gets completely amped up. May be a coincidence that this is occuring while we dropped the Amantadine from her med mix.

Thanks for all the replies. I am all for medicinal marijuana.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login