Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

VA and HD

Posted by normzach 
VA and HD
November 26, 2014 08:17AM
Was wondering if there are vets or care givers in this group who have worked with the VA to get benefits based on a diagnosis of HD. Have not seen anything from the ivory tower or anywhere else,for that matter, with guidance/suggestions on how to crack the VA/HD nut.

Have met with some success in pushing the HD issue for Ms. America – approval for medical benefits; inclusion in the VA Home Based Primary Care program; home health aides; some handicap home modifications; medical supplies (diapers, gloves, bed liners and the like) and medications; declared catastrophically disabled due to HD; and there is an application pending for disability compensation.

From the south of Maryland

Fred Lothrop
Re: VA and HD
November 28, 2014 10:39PM
From what I have heard the disability compensation for HD comes down to 2 situations: was the Veteran diagnosed while still active duty or after they got out? If Ms. America was diagnosed after being released from active duty, then from what i have heard it is difficult/impossible to be awarded compensation for HD alone. If you know different, do tell!!

Lizzieann
November 30, 2014 08:04AM
don't know the answer Lizzieann- but we will find out.

Will be interesting to see how they rule, given the fact after review of her medical records and supporting documentation, VA declared Linda catastrophic disabled. Her date of service, 1960-1965, diagnosed 2000.

The VA schedule §4.124a Schedule of ratings—neurological conditions and convulsive disorders, dated Apr '14 i think, makes no such distinction - but states without qualifications: bold and underscore are mine.

8106 Chorea, Huntington’s.

Rate as Sydenham’s chorea. This, though a familial disease, has its onset in late adult life, and is considered a ratable disability.

8105 Chorea, Sydenham’s:

Pronounced, progressive grave types 100
Severe 80
Moderately severe 50
Moderate 30
Mild 10

Appeals I have read are prior to and do not address schedule 4.214a, but rather try to tie HD to some service related occurrence/influence. such as Agent Orange, which goes back to your observations. That said, I understand are cases of PTSD where symptoms were re-evaluated after review of family history leading to genetic testing - don't if compensation was awarded, but it should make for a worth while project for someone to take on (got your ears on HDSA?)

Will let you know in seven or eight months.

Fred
eve
December 06, 2014 08:46PM
sorry. wrong post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2014 08:51PM by eve.
eve
December 06, 2014 08:47PM
Opps I posted to the wrong post! Sorry!!! I think I'll try to move it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login