Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Sleep Aids?

Posted by mikee 
Sleep Aids?
November 19, 2014 09:25AM
I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping or staying asleep at night for a long time. It really affects me physically. Does anyone have any experience with sleep aids. Ambien was prescribed at low dose to try. I know certain medications are not good for those with HD.

Thanks,
Mike
Re: Sleep Aids?
November 19, 2014 02:02PM
Look into melatonin. In additional to helping with sleep it may also have a positive effect on the disease process. Here's an article about this:

[en.hdbuzz.net]

Eric
JFB
November 19, 2014 04:18PM
banana and benidrial
November 20, 2014 02:48PM
Hey Mike, I'm sorry you're having trouble with sleep, believe me, I know, that was a huge issue for me for awhile. I did a quick search on ambien, and it says it can cause depression and agitation. So I'm just wondering if you have trouble with depression, like many of us with hd, and if so, are you on something for the depression, and if you are, is that working for you depression wise. If depression isn't an issue, or is being taken care of, then I would think ambien would be worth trying. Have you started taking it yet, and how's it working for you?
November 21, 2014 03:40AM
Mike, the reason I asked the above questions is this. For me, my hd caused huge sleep issues, and they didn't get resolved until I started Seroquel, and the difference was night and day. That is why I asked about depression and anti depressants, because if u do have trouble with depression also, then Seroquel resolves both depression and sleep issues. But if you don't have depression, then that's why I say the ambien is worth a try. Seroquel also effects dopamine in a way that actually improves hd, not just the symptoms. So, just some ideas smiling smiley Sorry you're having such a struggle, I remember that so well
PS If you don't want to say on here about meds or depression, you can send me a pm smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2014 03:41AM by Barb.
JFB
November 21, 2014 07:54AM
Interesting you mentioned Seriquiel. My wife started it several months back I do believe there was an improvement in her staying a sleep once she went to sleep. current problem is getting her to go to sleep (too involved with late night TV shows)
November 28, 2014 07:59PM
Marsha, Laura tried Seroquel and didn't notice any side affects and it was really helpful for sleep. The worry is that it is an anti psyscotic so she stopped taking it. She has had trouble with sleep for years and Seroquel was one of the only things that helped. Do you think Seroquel is beneficial for hd because of dopamine? And do you think it is a safe option?

Thanks Pete and Laura
November 28, 2014 08:19PM
Hey all of you guys and gals. I'm sorry I have taken so long to respond and thank you for your comments. You are a great bunch and sometimes I don't get back as quickly as I would like.

I have tried the Ambien and for the most part it was a good experience. No, I didn't smoke it or drink it......lol.....It has helped and I could tell I was more rested the next day. On the other hand I took it a couple of nights ago and got two hours of straight sleep and the rest was restless. My plan was to try it and I have to admit it worked as well as it can for me. I won't judge it by one night of not working. My Dr. said try 1/4 dose and when I wake try another 1/4 dose. That didn't really do much. The results have varied from 5 mg to 2.5 mg and it may be 5mg all night or a combination. One thing I have noticed is the way how my mind is just racing....haven't had that in a long time. Whatever, it has helped and I don't notice any side effects thus far. Let me note there may be a bit more irritability in the evening. My wife is concerned about taking it every night (which I haven't) and others have said it works only for a little while. Probably over the counter may be better but I'm not sure.

Thank you for responding and don't hate on me for not getting back sooner. Just kidding.

Mike
February 20, 2015 05:16AM
You can put a tasty spin on your grandmother’s natural insomnia remedy by sipping warm milk before bed. Almond milk is an excellent source of calcium, which helps the brain make melatonin. Plus, warm milk may spark pleasant and relaxing memories of your mother helping you fall asleep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login