Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Creatine does not slow progression sad smiley

Posted by Waz1980 
Creatine does not slow progression sad smiley
October 29, 2014 01:09PM
Just read the HD buzz article and it is reporting on the recent CREST trial and it being stopped as creatine was doing nothing. Very disappointing.

I just hope something good will come in the future. Please let at least one drug trial work.
Re: Creatine does not slow progression sad smiley
October 29, 2014 06:34PM
For reference, I think this is the article Waz1980 is talking about:

[en.hdbuzz.net]
October 29, 2014 06:59PM
I am not familiar with the exact trial results but my husband has been taking 10 gr of pharmacy grade creatine for 10 years or better and I know that is one reason he has done so much better than the remainder of his siblings that are/were affected by HD.
October 29, 2014 07:27PM
Actually, I find this very interesting. I myself am not a fan of creatine, only because I tried it and it had a negative effect on my kidneys, and my hd got worse, after 3 weeks I had trembling that I'd never had, and very very aggressive emotions, and very sore kidneys. So I personally am not disappointed in the outcome of the trial, I did not feel all along that creatine was good. But, having said that, I think I just had a bad reaction, and I don't doubt that it has been helpful to some people.
The one thing in this article THAT DID UPSET ME, was this. They did not see creatine being good or bad for hd, they just weren't seeing viable results. What really made me mad was this. The article said, by stopping this trial, it now frees up tons of hd patients for other trials! That is alarm bells in my brain big time! Did upcoming big pharmaceutical trials have a hand in this??? I don't put anything past anyone with motive and money.
What do I do for hd? I have gone from early stage, with progression, to almost no symptoms at all. I listen to my own body. I tried fish oil, and it gave me migraines and depression, and tremors, so I stopped that. I tried turmeric, very very severe tremors and migraines, so stopped that. Creatine, also no good for me. I like cinnamon, because it has a very similar heat shock effect as turmeric, and gives you happy feelings, and mixed with pepper it crosses the blood brain barrier. I take daily aspirin as an anti inflammatory for the brain. Blueberry doesn't agree with me, so I take cranberry pills every day, very similar antioxidant action as blueberries. I eat a very low iron diet, and I don't eat packaged foods, very few packaged foods. And I walk. The very first time I went to the hd clinic, they told me, start walking. They said what is good for the heart is good for the brain. The one thing I haven't tried yet, that I think has a lot of promise, is that sugar, I can't remember the name. Oh right, trehalose. That is one thing I am thinking of trying.
And of course, I think Will is the King of doing HD right smiling smiley
PS Am I health nut? No. I do love potato chips and kit kat bars. But, the only canned good you will find in my pantry is tomato paste, it has no chemicals in it. I do not buy pasta sauce, too many chemicals and too expensive, make my own. I have no canned soups, nothing like that. I have lots of potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions...very inexpensive and healthy. Dried lentils and yellow split peas. Can I afford packaged foods, no way, and thank god. I like my coffee, it's loaded with antioxidants, and I don't care for fruit or salads lol. Can I afford meat? nope, good thing, too high in iron, but I do drink milk and eat eggs. And I like my beer. Is this working for me? So far lol smiling smiley

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 08:47PM by Barb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login