Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Low Blood Pressure and Fatigue with HD

Posted by Silverlining 
Low Blood Pressure and Fatigue with HD
August 26, 2014 02:45PM
Hello Everyone,

I am a male, 47 years-old and positive a the DNA test for HD in 2008 (43 CAG ).
The symptom I suffer most is fatigue when standing up or walking too long.
I was very active before and now only manage to swim 1km per week, moderate cycling once a week for 1h, and gardening.

However, I feel like I am going to faint close to exhaustion quite often.
I have noticed my blood pressure, who used to be normal (13/8) when I was a student or before my symptoms, is now very low:
9/6

I really made the link between my fatigue level and this Low Blood Pressure.

Strangely my father, HD patient in late stage has a pretty normal one....

Has anyone with HD noticed the same thing here?

Thank you!
Re: Low Blood Pressure and Fatigue with HD
August 26, 2014 03:22PM
Remember, just because you have HD, it doesn't mean that you can't have other unrelated medical problems (wish it did!). I am not aware of low blood pressure being associated with HD. My ex, who has HD, has high blood pressure which has been very difficult to bring down. His doctor doesn't connect that to the HD though.

I would talk about this to your doctor and try to get to the bottom of what is causing your low blood pressure. While it is true that HD does cause fatigue, you may be right that your fatigue is caused by the low blood pressure and can be treated.
August 28, 2014 02:37PM
Thank you Marsha,

I understand what you mean.
However, there seems to be some connections with Low Blood Pressure and neurological disorders.

"....For many people, excessively low blood pressure can cause dizziness and fainting or indicate serious heart, endocrine or neurological disorders...."

Above is an extract for the first paragraph from Wikipedia about LBP:

Wikipedia
August 29, 2014 02:11AM
I've never noticed a connection with hd and low blood pressure here on the forum at all. I have hd and high blood pressure. Usually the fatigue with hd is from "slow"? mytochondria. Low blood pressure can also be from heart problems, all kinds of other things, that should be looked at by your doctor for sure. It's a fine line sometimes trying to decide if something is from having hd, or something completely separate. Have you been to your doctor about this? And I'm also having serious high blood pressure, which means tonight is quitting smoking night...again. I seem to be getting really good at quitting, been doing it many times lately smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2014 02:16AM by Barb.
August 29, 2014 09:59AM
I can understand how you feel. However, my blood pressure became high after becoming symptomatic. It is probably related more to stress and the effects of the disease and not the disease itself (just for what it's worth).

Perhaps if you can find the reason for the low BP you can get some energy back. Then again it may stay with you. Good Luck.

Oh! Good luck to you Barb....again....

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login