Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Hypnosis

Posted by Amber 
Hypnosis
August 20, 2014 04:37PM
Anyone tried hypnosis for symptoms management? I set up an appt for my hubby for next week. Hoping to help with pain, sleeplessness, choking, anxiety, depression, OCD, etc.
Re: Hypnosis
August 21, 2014 01:16PM
Hi Amber. I just realized you ask me about this on another post some time ago. Sorry.

I feel like it can help to a degree. I'm not sure about symptoms but certainly anxiety and perhaps depression as well as OCD. One thing to keep in mind is have an open mind when he goes in. Follow the hypnotist instructions. Assure him the hypnotist cannot make him do anything he does not want to otherwise do through hypnosis. Have him ask about self hypnosis. It may take more than one session but that's o.k. too. The key is to use self hypnosis to maintain. My Therapist gave me information about someone that produces many cd's which she recommends as well. Unfortunately I can't remember the name. I will try to find the information if you are interested.

Good Luck,

Mike
August 22, 2014 10:47AM
Thank you Mike. I think we found a great hypno therapist. She will meet with us/him for an hour and a half the first time and then she said most people have the result they want with just a few more 1 hour sessions. Part of what she does is teach him how to help himself and it does include CDs. She sounds very good and professional. She said she has worked with people with parkinsons and had good results. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever used it and what symptoms it helped with.
February 12, 2015 02:25PM
Amber,

How did the appointment go in August? Did hypnosis help any? I have started learning self-hypnosis today for other reasons but got to thinking that it may be beneficial for HD if I have it (preliminary doctor's appt. tomorrow). I am very curious to know the results!
February 27, 2015 03:14PM
HI theclosh,

It was ok. I liked her, but my husband didn't feel it would be beneficial and has chosen to not pursue it. If he doesn't think it will work, then it won't! His dad talked him into seeing an acupuncturist, which neither of us thought would be helpful, but it stopped the bouncing in his left leg for about 24 hours! He said the lower half of his body hasn't ever felt so relaxed. So, he saw a different local guy this week. and it worked some. Not as well as the other, but this time it was on his lunch hour. He has an appointment with him again next Tuesday and will we are wanting him to also see him Friday as it is his day off and I think he will get a better benefit since he will already be less stressed. How did your appointment go? Was the hypnosis helpful?
February 28, 2015 09:50AM
Acupuncture is interesting. Keep us posted. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login