Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Umbilical cord stem cells

Posted by Sarahkay25 
Umbilical cord stem cells
August 10, 2014 11:10PM
Hi everyone
I'm just wanting to hear if anyone knows if saving umbilical cord stem cells from an HD baby at birth would be beneficial?
Re: Umbilical cord stem cells
August 11, 2014 05:20PM
I heard saving the placenta we best. But I'm not a doctor
Re: Umbilical cord stem cells
August 11, 2014 07:52PM
When our daughter was pregnant she wanted this checked out. We were told that since this is relatively new they do not know how long this will last in storage - it depends on how quickly it gets to the storage unit as to whether it will be good or not - there was also some concern about whether you would get your own back or not.

I worked at a facility co-located where there were times medical tissues, blood, etc was shipped. I know there was a time constraint. Sadly, I saw cases where those employees who were to get it off were not in a hurry which I know could have jeopardized some of the items being shipped.

In talking to a couple doctors who studied genetics and were in this field they said they felt the cure will come from a person's own stem cells, although this was their opinion.

If you lived in a city where there is a cord blood bank or in very close proximity there would probably be a better chance it would get to where it was supposed to much quicker and you could check up on some of these.

Just food for though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login