Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

My supplement regime

Posted by Waz1980 
My supplement regime
July 09, 2014 02:56PM
Hi

I am from the uk and just wanted to let you know my regime. I am 33 with a repeat of 43 CAGs, I am symptom free at present.

Creatine mono hydrate 20mg
Green tea capsules
Fish oil capsules
Ginkgo biloba
Siberian ginseng
Vitamin b complex tablets
Grape seed extract tablets
Turmeric capsules
Nac cysteine capsules
Vitamin d tablets
Trehalose sugar in tea and on cereal
Blueberries in some form
Swim and cycle 5 times a week
Read
Mindfulness

Lots to help I hope

I just want to help others if I can.

Wayne
Re: My supplement regime
July 09, 2014 04:05PM
Wayne,

Welcome. Your supplement regimen is very similar to mine, which I believe is helping keep me symptom free at almost 68. I do have a fortunate CAG of 40.

Will
Raleigh, NC USA
July 09, 2014 05:11PM
Thanks a lot for your share Wayne smiling smiley

You are doing great Will. Big props to you for having courage to start taking these supplements back in the days when we had less information about HD. Stay strong my friend smiling smiley

Are you sure your CAG is 40?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2014 05:19PM by Runningforlife.
July 09, 2014 08:09PM
Sounds very good Wayne, and glad you're still symptom free smiling smiley
July 10, 2014 09:16AM
Yes, I'm sure my CAG is 40. I was tested in 2003.

Will
July 19, 2014 10:10AM
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for sharing your supplement regime. Here are the ones that I take.

Judy (tellie)

Creatine - I recently started taking Con-Cret Creatine, at the recommendation of Will Brown. I bought mine from Amazon and Badass.
Coconut Oil Capsules - Source Naturals - I buy from Vitamin Shoppe. At this time, I take 2 capsules daily. A full dose is 4 capsules, but I also use some coconut oil in cooking.
Trehalose (Neurocoat) - 4-5 tsp. daily - I buy from Brooklyn Premium online. Now that I don't take powdered creatine, I make an effort to use trehalose as a sweetener whenever possible.
Blueberry IQ (Fruit Fast) - 2 tablets daily (equal to one cup blueberries)-I buy from Brownwood Acres.
CoQ10 - Recent studies show that you should be taking at least 1000 mg per day. At this time, I take just 300 mg per day, but I also take ubiquinol (next), which is concentrated CoQ10. I purchase it at Costco.
Ubiquinol - This is a concentrated CoQ10, I presently take 100 mg daily, and I purchase the Qunol brand at Costco.
Turmeric - 450 mg daily - I purchase from Costco.
Pearl Probiotic - one tablet daily - I purchase from Whole Foods or GNC.
Vitamin E - 400 I.U. - 1 tablet daily - I buy the Kirkland brand at Costco.
Celexa Antidepressant (SSRI) - 20 mg - You need a prescription for this.
Fish Oil - Fish oil is very important, and I take 4,000 mg daily. I purchase the Kirkland brand at Costco.
Krill Oil (concentrated fish oil) -Recent studies show that you should be taking 2000 mg per day of fish oil, either as krill oil or regular fish oil - You can purchase it at PuritanPride.com or at Costco.
July 31, 2014 11:19AM
Hello all

I m 34 , i dont have an smyptoms but I want to slow this disease in the early stage.
My suppelements are :

- Fishoil 2g Capsule
- 3 portion Creatine HCL, which should equal to 8g Creatine
- 3 Acai capules which has Anthocyanin like blueberries. blueberries cause me constipation.
- 1g vitamin C

I think about to add Trehalose, Curumin, or CoQ10 , to my list.
Does Trehalose affect this this disease ?
does it make sense to take creatine together with Coq10. ?
July 31, 2014 04:11PM
Trehalose and Curcumin are probably good bets to add to your regimen. There is some science behind each. As I understand it, Creatine and CoQ10 act in similar ways on the brain. I decided to go with just Creatine. There are clinical trials going on with both, so we'll know more in the future.

Blueberries have a lot of science behind them, including studies with the HD mouse. If the real ones disagree with you, you could try these from Brownwood Acres: [www.brownwoodacres.com] I take two caps in the morning, which is the equivalent of a cup of berries. Wild blueberries are supposed to be better for us than cultivated ones.

Cheers!

Will
August 05, 2014 08:22PM
I have a question. If an individual is taking other medications for the typical issues such as high cholesterol, blood pressure, depression, etc., should your physicians be consulted prior to starting such regimens. I'm not trying to dampen the party but I am curious about interactions. No disrespect to our locals but I think they would provide an off the cuff answer or none at all.

Thanks,
Mike
August 06, 2014 08:52AM
Mike,

Yes, your doctor should be consulted. There are drug interactions with some supplements. The only drug I take is Androgel. My regular doctor knows all the supplements I take and knew about them when she initially prescribed it.

Will
August 06, 2014 09:14AM
OK. Thanks Will.

Mike
August 06, 2014 10:25PM
I agree with Will. Always share with your doctor. If you make the decision to take say a supplement, it isn't helpful to ask a doctor if you should take it because he or she can only say yes if Phase III clinical trials show it to be safe and effective. However, if you ask if there is any reason that you should NOT take it, then you can have a good discussion.
August 07, 2014 08:38AM
Thanks Marsha, makes sense. I asked about CoQ10 once and he told me I probably couldn't afford to purchase enough to be beneficial on a monthly basis, therefore the trials.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login