Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Being pushed away

Posted by Kat343 
Being pushed away
June 24, 2014 08:02PM
s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 10:08PM by Kat343.
eve
Re: Being pushed away
June 25, 2014 05:14PM
I think you're smart to tell him you won't stick around if he's drinking. That sounds as if it'll turn into a disaster you'll regret. Stand firm. He's the one who needs to decide if he wants to quit or not. I guess I'd say that's number one on the list.
eve
June 25, 2014 06:56PM
My husband (who is HD genepositive and doesn't seem to have HD yet but is probably mildly affected) has beengetting mad over stupid things. He won't talk to me for awhile when he's in a funk. He's driven away in a fury and not come back for hours. We haven't had sex for longer than I can remember. So I suppose that pushing away part could be part of HD. My husband wasn't like this when we were first married and not for many years. If it is part of his HD it will likely only get more pronounced as his disease progresses. But perhaps your boyfriend really isn't symptomatic for HD yet and it is only him being worried. I know there are many more people here who could give you advice, but to love a person who has HD you have to have thick skin. Everyone is affected differently, but there are several common themes echoed on this board that have helped to prepare me for what might come as my husband develops HD. I suggest you read over everything on this site and study the past posts here. Many people seem to have nothing but "bad days" as the disease progresses. Not saying that will happen to you and your boyfriend, but you have to think about how to help yourself as well as him.
June 25, 2014 07:06PM
i

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2016 10:09PM by Kat343.
eve
June 26, 2014 07:45PM
Read over past posts here. There are topics you can type into the SEARCH area if you have specific areas of concern. You may need councilling or a good friend to listen to each of you and then bring you together to discuss and figure out specifically what areas are not working well in your relationship.
June 27, 2014 01:02AM
If turning off his emotions is happening from hd, no amount of counselling will help that. Blunting of emotions, unfortunately, is one of the symptoms of hd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 01:03AM by Barb.
July 27, 2014 07:43AM
Eve....your husband sounds just like mind. It has been 2 weeks since he has spoken to me. It is hard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login