Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

HDSA Convention in Louisville... was a success!

Posted by TylerFitz 
HDSA Convention in Louisville... was a success!
June 23, 2014 01:42PM
I am curious if any of you here on the Forum attended the HDSA convention that just occurred over the weekend in Louisville.

I attended Friday and Saturday and participated in a good number of workshops. I had not been to the national convention in probably 8 years or so. I was told that Louisville set a record for attendees.

There was optimism shared on the research front and it appears that Isis Pharmaceuticals may be ramping up for human clinical trials for 2015, relative to gene-silencing therapies (RNAi). Anyone else catch that in the Research update by Leslie Thompson, PhD?

The duo who run the HDBuzz, Drs. Carroll and Wild, were very interesting and engaging. All around, a great convention.
Re: HDSA Convention in Louisville... was a success!
June 23, 2014 03:46PM
I was there for just Saturday. I had the pleasure of meeting Patty C in person., albeit for a quick encounter. This was my 4th, including a World Congress in Vancouver.

One thing that was very encouraging for me was the vocal presence of several of the BIG drug companies. I sat at a table at the grand gala dinner with some folks from Lundbeck. They weren't just convention goers going through the motions. They're INTO HD like we are.

I also ran into an old friend from prior conventions - Jimmy Pollard. He's an HD legend and it was great to see him healthy, wealthy and still wise.

Will
June 26, 2014 07:47PM
Tyler & Will,

Thanks for the update. thumbs up
June 27, 2014 06:37PM
TylerFitz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> There was optimism shared on the research front
> and it appears that Isis Pharmaceuticals may be
> ramping up for human clinical trials for 2015,
> relative to gene-silencing therapies (RNAi).

>

Has anyone read any articles about this? If so please share the link.

Thanks,
Pete
June 28, 2014 04:49PM
Pete,

I can't find an article, but I'm pretty sure this refers to an ISIS/Roche partnership that will be doing human trials with their ASO (AntiSenseSomething) gene therapy drug. I believe primate safety trials have been done. This can be injected into the spinal cord and will go straight to the brain where it needs to be. Injecting into the brain involves major surgery and doesn't guarantee that a drug will get to the proper spots.

I think I have that right.

Will
June 29, 2014 06:34AM
Yes. I was there. I ran past will and introduced myself but then needed to run along. Sorry I missed you later.

This was the first year we traveled to the convention as a family. The kids enjoyed the NYA events and have forged the beginning of some solid friendships. Rusty and I met others from around the states and also made stronger our friendships with other Pittsburgh peeps who made the drive. It was a great weekend!

The Kentucky chapter did a great job organizing this event.

BRAVO!
Patty C
June 30, 2014 01:30AM
Does anyone know where next years convention is? Glad everyone had a good time, i had an awesome time when the world hd convention came to vancouver
June 30, 2014 09:00AM
Dallas.

Will
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login