Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

I think my boyfriend has huntingtons

Posted by Greenteadiva 
I think my boyfriend has huntingtons
June 08, 2014 02:22AM
Hi all I hope someone can help me decide what is best to do. I have been dating a man for about 6 months. I noticed early on that he has some involuntary writhing movements. Its not a fast movement but his arms head and neck are always moving during conversation. I have noticed that stress really makes this worse, so if it’s a stressful conversation he literally appears to b squirming in his seat.
He is very anxious and seems to lack impulse control in stressful situations. He is compulsive in many of his behaviors. (He is also a million other thing that are pretty great).
I am trying to decide how to suggest that he be tested for this disease without stressing him out.
Also from people who have a confirmed diagnosis what clued you in that you should seek medical attention or that something was wrong?
Re: I think my boyfriend has huntingtons
June 08, 2014 10:22AM
Is Huntington's disease known to run in his family? If not, was he adopted?

To answer your question, in the case of my first husband it was the reversion to childish responses in a formerly mature man. Here's an example, we had been picking up fast food tacos, asking for mild sauce packets and getting hot sauce packets instead. After the first mistake, I would naturally check before leaving, but if he were alone he would forget to check, and be upset when he got home. One day he came home, saw the hot sauce packets, threw them on the floor and stomped on them. When he stopped, there was hot sauce on the ceiling (yes really) and all over the bottom of his new wool business suit.
June 08, 2014 11:36PM
Thank you for responding. No one is aware of any history. There are just a lot of unknows. His mothers liniage is clear but his paternal grandma had three husbands resulting in 12 kids and his father appears to be unaffected according to nearby realatives but they dont speak and live states away.
June 09, 2014 08:06AM
There are many forms of dystonia that can also lead to the physical symptoms you are describing. Fortunately, they are not nearly as devastating as HD can be. If there is no family history of HD, I doubt that is it. The only person who could tell you for sure is a neurologist experienced in movement disorders and genetic testing. He has to be ready and willing for that .

Good luck.
Patty
June 09, 2014 09:04PM
Thanks Patty.
June 10, 2014 10:30PM
Patty is correct. Testing is the only way to know in conjunction with a Neurologist.

Curious though; how did you come upon HD as the basis of the movements.

It is a possibility to be the first although it is rare. It does start somewhere.

Good Luck,
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login