Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Success story for swallowing difficulties.

Posted by patty c 
Success story for swallowing difficulties.
May 22, 2014 05:02PM
Well, maybe a small success. In the HD world, we celebrate each tiny success.

We had my husband to the hospital again last week for an aspiration pneumonia. That is twice in 4 months. He was already on nectar thick liquids and mechanical soft foods. Admittedly, when you are at home and he looks strong, you think you can try things out..ease up on the restrictions. After all, he has already had so much taken away. Rusty would enjoy ice cream with lunch every day. I know that it is considered a thin liquid, but he loved it so much.

After discharge, the speech therapist came to visit. She pretty much put the kabash on ice cream. I too don't want him to go back to the hospital again, so I need to be firmer this time. Solution.................instant pudding!

I made him instant pudding instead, but that still wasn't satisfying as an ice cream replacement. Then I made the instant pudding and put it in single serving cups. I freeze the cups one at a time for 3-4 hours before a meal. It comes out a PERFECT ice cream consistency (once I stir it a bit) and will melt to a nectar/pudding thick.

Hubby is happy....I am happy.....we'll find out tomorrow if the ST is happy.....

Success!
Re: Success story for swallowing difficulties.
May 22, 2014 08:45PM
They sell thickened ice cream for people with dysphagia (swallowing problems). It doesn't melt to a thin liquid like regular ice cream. Your SLP should be able to help you information about them. I know there is one brand called Magic Cup dessert.
May 24, 2014 02:09AM
That is awesome, thanks for sharing this great tip!
May 27, 2014 05:51PM
Yes, Lisa. I am familiar with that product as well. It is called magic cup. I would imagine ist is the same formulation like a Boost or Ensure, but thickened so it will melt to a thickened liquid.

It can be expensive if used frequently, so for us this was a more economic solution.

I have also started to grind his meats after cooking and blending with egg, bread crumbs. Mold into a pattie. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (will cook the egg, but it will still be moist.) You can serve one and freeze the others. I can reduce the number of days I need to cook 3-fold by freezing the patties on the date I make them. (I freeze them in a ziploc bag, date it, and plan to use within 2 weeks.) When I re-heat and serve, my husband likes his meats slathered with mayo. (adds moisture and much needed calories.)

We live and learn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login