Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Live-in help

Posted by fossilbear 
Live-in help
May 09, 2014 11:00AM
Hello all. My mother has late-moderate HD (62 yrs old, 42 CAG repeats). SHe is having trouble bathing, wiping, etc and my father is having difficulty helping her with this. They have long-term health insurance but have not yet started it. They have a large house and could "rent" a room to someone that could help my mom in the mornings with hygiene. Has anyone had experience with this? What kind of nursing certificate/degree is required for long-term health coverage to cover it? This is in the Sacramento area so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Re: Live-in help
May 12, 2014 09:01PM
I think you will have to ask the insurance company or read the policy carefully and see what type of care they cover, ie: skilled care, home health aide, etc. do they cover care in the home or just in a facility. Most policies have a lifetime limit, so if you can stretch out the care provided in the home as opposed to care in a facility you probably can ensure the policy will cover a longer period of care.
Oh, how i wish we had known about LTC insurance before my husband's diagnosis.confused smiley

Lizzieann
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login