Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Sleep

Posted by pal 
pal
Sleep
May 08, 2014 01:39PM
I have noticed my husband sleeping much more is this Huntingtons as medication had not changed -thanks in advance
eve
Re: Sleep
May 09, 2014 09:45AM
My husband seems more tired than he did when he was younger, however he wakes early in the morning, so he's sleeping on the couch in the early evening. Plus he's not really symptomatic. Also he's an older dad to a young child with several challenges, so that could explain it. I'm an older mother and I feel extremely tired in the evening and just tired most of the time. I sleep as much as I can get...maybe more than my husband! I take naps on the weekends too. But I'm not HD positive. So my answer is I don't necessarily see any correlation in my house. It'll be interesting to hear what sort of responses you get.
May 10, 2014 02:56PM
Yes, with hd you need more and more naps, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. If someone with hd is encouraged not to nap, it's very hard for them to keep up with everyday life, and that leads to stress, which makes hd worse. So nice little naps are needed with hd, and it will make their life much happier
May 11, 2014 10:10AM
Barb is right on the money. I can tell you that without sleep/naps you will become exhausted. Exhaustion comes on easily, stress brings on exhaustion and more exaggerated symptoms including irritability, cognitive decline and depression. Overstimulation also becomes a bigger issue. I have been encouraged to be active but the fatigue is always there. It just gets worse with activity. Stress just adds to the load. I can't tell you the number of times a day I have to lay down. Some days aren't as bad as others and on occasion their is a good day or two. I have learned to stop before activities, nap etc. then go then nap if needed.

Sleep at night has become very disrupted. I am on a cpap and found out my oxygen levels dropped dramatically at night and rem sleep was almost non existent. Supplemental oxygen at night did help to a degree. Also research has shown that people with HD have problems with their Circadian Rhythms being disrupted.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login