Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Stem Cell Breakthrough

Posted by Shar 
Re: Stem Cell Breakthrough
July 12, 2014 04:55PM
Curt now says:
"I'm not talking about adult skin cells. I'm talking about a different article I read a while back saying they take the brain cells of an embryo. I agree with you about the Adult skin cells. "

Curt, if you were talking about a different article other than the one that THIS thread was about, you would have said so! NOT ONCE did you say you were not talking about what THIS THREAD was about. Do you think we\re stupid or something? Do you not know how to admit when you are wrong, and apoligize???!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 07:59PM by Barb.
July 12, 2014 05:13PM
Shar, this was your thread, and I'm sorry if I helped it take on a life of it's own. I don't think I even thanked you for such an interesting article, I really liked the article.
And everything you said to Marsha was said so beautifully, I can only say I 2nd that smiling smiley
July 13, 2014 12:16PM
Thank you, Shar, for your lovely words. And thank you, Barb, for your support.
July 13, 2014 03:41PM
Barb - chime in any time - good to hear from you again on the board
and Marsha - you are more than welcome and very deserving!
July 17, 2014 03:51PM
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Curt
July 17, 2014 03:57PM
I see that I was simply commenting on the very first article quoted

The first developments in the field of stem cell research used leftover embryos created by the union of sperm and egg from in vitro fertilization.
But embryonic stem cell research is controversial because to use the stem cells for developing medical treatments, the embryo is destroyed. Embryos have the potential to develop into a fully formed human, bringing up ethical questions

I simply commented that I would not accept a cure for me for HD if it had come from an embryo (baby)
July 17, 2014 07:38PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 07:57PM by Barb.
July 17, 2014 09:13PM
All of us have choices. I made a choice when I was first diagnosed to participate in a stem cell project which involved several of our most prestigious medical facilities. I think my decision was the right one not only for myself but my family and others with HD. Did I really do anything, no, I just stuck my arm out. The purpose of the study was to use human skin cells to regenerate stem cells at some point in order to possibly re-grow organs for study and possible treatment of Parkinson, Alzheimer's, Huntington and other neurological diseases. We are in an era of profound and groundbreaking scientific stem cell findings which will help all of us in the future. These stem cells will last for what sounded like forever. I do not believe we as a nation are at the point of taking lives in the name of science. We are on the cusp of possible breakthroughs in gene therapy. How do I know this? From reading articles just as the one posted, information provided by Marsha and Steve (whom I must admit have much more experience with this than I). Controversial subjects are always there for us to debate. I agree this is not the proper forum for debating debatable topics. HD touches all of us no matter your religious beliefs.

I hope we can all settle a bit and cool our engines for a more constructive purpose.

Sorry for the tone. Let's all stick together and agree to disagree at times.

Mike
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.