Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Stem Cell Breakthrough

Posted by Shar 
Stem Cell Breakthrough
April 28, 2014 08:28PM
Re: Stem Cell Breakthrough
June 01, 2014 02:23PM
If I received treatment with stem cells from a murdered baby, I would refuse the treatment.
June 23, 2014 01:46PM
cwyoungh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I received treatment with stem cells from a
> murdered baby, I would refuse the treatment.

cw, consider that however you wish to describe these frozen embryos, they are being discarded in a cryo dumpster. I don't think I would categorize it as murdered babies. Worth noting that many infertile couples, many who are devout Christians, are using whatever definition for an egg and sperm in attempting in vitro fertilization and success towards having children. On average, they discard about twelve or thirteen of these "eggs" before having one success. Those discarded events... I don't believe are being referred to as murdered babies.

Also, the latest stem cell success which I saw featured at the HDSA convention this past weekend, had to do with adult stem cells. I personally do not care if they are of the embryonic or adult or cord blood... whatever source. It's all pro-life and taking care of the living.

Let's please leave the politics off the board and let people decide for themselves. Thanks, Ty
June 23, 2014 02:14PM
tylerfitz, While you have a right to your opinion, so does cwyoungh. You see this issue as political, and cwyoung see's it as a moral issue. As a practicing Catholic, I would oppose both embryonic research, as well as in-vitro fertilization for the specific reason, that no fertilized eggs should be discarded, which is in line with the stance the church takes on these moral issues. However, not every Christian harbors the same exact beliefs and maybe their definition of when life begins has a different meaning depending on which church they belong, or not belong to, I don't know.
As a participant on this site, I read many posts that I agree with, and just as many that I don't agree with. The beauty of this forum is that we can voice our opinions whatever they may be.
June 24, 2014 05:12PM
A recently developed technique will make what are called pluripotent stem cells from one's own skin. That should eliminate moral and political issues.

Will
June 26, 2014 08:28PM
dj, I don't know how you define a practicing Catholic, but it's a stretch to call the discarded eggs "murdered babies". I know many devout Catholics who have participated in artificial insemination as well as the use of the pill and other forms of contraception. I am not that much into politics or moral stances, I am however all about pro-life being applied to the living. I know many Catholic priests who share my viewpoint. Will is correct above about the skin cells, but until we have a breakthrough, I am one of many who wish to see embryonic stem cell lines. Even a conservative POTUS was onboard with this even though he likely didn't realize the existing lines were damaged beyond use.

If we are going to call people who practice in-vitro fertilization baby murderers, we are going to have some difficulty in coming up with a cure for diseases, is my guess.
June 27, 2014 12:36AM
Thank you Tyler for your posts, because a couple weeks ago, I was so upset about how inflammatory and judgemental the term baby murderers was, that I wrote a couple of very very heated heated posts, which got deleted, probably because my posts were so heated and with bad language, which I admit i knew they would probably get deleted, so I'm just glad you are able to say something similar in a much more tactful way, so i just wanted to say thank you for saying what many of us would probably like to be able to say, but don't know how
July 08, 2014 11:58AM
Tyler, I don't remember anywhere in my post did I use the term "murdered babies". I simply stated that I agreed with the church's doctrine with regard to embryonic research and contraception, and that I believed that this subject was not a political, but a moral issue. Just because there are Catholics (and priests) that disagree with this does not mean that the rules are going to change. Majority opinion will probably not change doctrine where the Catholic church is concerned.
That said, it has been upsetting reading these posts, but I felt I had to respond to your latest for my own sanity and sincerely held beliefs.
I'm sorry if my opinions caused you, Barb, or anyone else for that matter, to get agitated. I'm removing myself from this forum as I realized that my life as a caregiver to my HD husband is enough stress for me. I don't feel the benefit of this forum outweighs the stress that it gives me at times.
Marsha or Steve, if you read this post, please delete me (djcloc) from the list of users. Thanks
July 08, 2014 02:05PM
The Bible says we must speak the truth in love. I love you all. But they are still murdered babies. Discarded. The Bible speaks about how God weaves us together in the womb. God views the embryo as a person has He has created and is developing. Any attempt by us to redefine what God has clearly shown us, is wrong. He rejects it. I must also reject it. But it seems like now, we, the creatures are saying to the Creator - we know better than You. I love you all.

Curt
July 08, 2014 02:47PM
I am not deleting anyone and I am really really annoyed here. Does anyone read or just grab an opportunity to make a political post?

THESE ARE NOT FERTILIZED EGGS. they are pseudo-embryos made by putting an adult skin cell inside an egg. The environment of the egg turns the adult cell back to an earlier stage of development, to the stem cell level.

I have explained before that HD stem cell research uses adult skin cells, using various techniques to turn the cells back into stem cells so that they can become neurons. This is just another technique to do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2014 02:57PM by Marsha.
July 08, 2014 02:55PM
Embryos are fertilized. I'm not talking political. I'm talking ethical and what God has shown us in the Bible.
Thanks.
Curt

Curt
July 08, 2014 02:58PM
No they are not. If I had HD, I would certainly approve of researchers taking one of my eggs and putting one of my skin cells in it to make stem cells. That cannot produce a baby.

Now, you can make an argument that there is something immoral about this procedure, we have free speech here, but you cannot say that it is a fertilized egg since no sperm is involved at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2014 03:07PM by Marsha.
July 08, 2014 03:44PM
That is completely true .....
July 10, 2014 05:21PM
I never said that just the egg is fertilized. Correct. an egg is an egg; unferiltized. An embryo is fertilized.

Curt
July 10, 2014 05:51PM
djcloc, none of my posts, were directed at you, you just have a dif opinion, and that's completely fine, curt is the only one I'm upset with, because of his arrogance and rudeness smiling smiley

Curt, you clearly never read the article, and disregard what marsha has said. You say you wouldn't receive stem cells from murdered babies, that language is so strong and offensive to some, surprised your words weren't edited or deleted. And then you went on to give a sermon about an embryo in the womb is a child, etc, which I and many agree with, BUT!!!!! You didn't even read the frigin article before posting and preaching. The article was NOT about eggs fertilized with a sperm! They were not real embroys. They were implanted with skin cells, to MIMIC an embryo! Read the article, and listen and have some respect for marsha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 09:13PM by Barb.
July 10, 2014 10:29PM
It's nice to know that someone misses my ham handed thread moderation.

smiling smiley
July 10, 2014 10:31PM
Awe, Steve I love you too LOL Yes, you've deleted me before LOL smiling smiley
July 11, 2014 08:10PM
A friend of mine sends out research news to people in her local HD support group. Every single time she posts about a new study with stem cells derived from ADULT SKIN CELLS, she gets a nasty email from someone who accuses her of supporting the murder of babies. Every single time. She tried writing to him and explaining that these aren't embryonic stem cells but are derived from adult skin cells from volunteers, but no, she just gets more verbal abuse. I now understand her frustration. I can't tell whether Curt thinks I am stupid or lying.
July 11, 2014 09:21PM
Marsha-
We, who have been on here a long time, and also who have researched new items coming out know you are not lying - never have, never will.
We are very thankful for what you do for all of us.
We also know you are a very intelligent woman and extremely knowledgeable on HD and all you speak about. We also know if you do not
know an answer you do research until you have accurate findings to report.
We all know you are extremely compassionate about helping those with HD and their family members and are praying for a cure with
all of us - and you are definitely not selfish or you wouldn't spend all the time you do for the HD cause.
For all that and who you are (and Steve) I thank you from the bottom of my heart and appreciate you both more than you may ever know.
Shar
July 12, 2014 02:33PM
I'm not talking about adult skin cells. I'm talking about a different article I read a while back saying they take the brain cells of an embryo. I agree with you about the Adult skin cells.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.