Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

LONG TIME

Posted by skmf12 
LONG TIME
April 16, 2014 03:50PM
Looking forward to the day when maybe... something like this might work for us...........
p.s. It's been a long time since i've been here.... I see time still stands still for H D...... nothing new... no
treatment still..... well we try and Live Strong while we can.... that's all we have ..........
HI STEVEI .... smiling smiley

***************************************************************************************************
Nanoparticles Deliver Three Cancer Drugs at Once

April 15, 2014 | by Lisa Winter
Photo credit: The new MIT nanoparticles consist of polymer chains (blue) and three different drug molecules — doxorubicin is red, the small green particles are camptothecin, and the larger green core contains cisplatin. Image courtesy of Jeremiah Johnson
Share147 Tweet18 1 Reddit0 4

Nanomedicine is an exciting field of study that will allow doctors to pinpoint and treat problem areas on a cell-by-cell basis for many diseases, including cancer. While the ability to administer even one medication in a targeted fashion is incredible, researchers from MIT have developed nanoparticles that can deliver three cancer drugs at once, with the option of adding more. The research was led by Jeremiah Johnson and the results were published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.

This targeted approach will not only get rid of all of the diseased cells but it will spare healthy cells; a sharp contrast to traditional chemotherapy. In order for traditional intravenous drugs to kill all of the cancer cells, a large amount of healthy cells are also killed. This is why many cancer patients lose their hair and experience truly horrific side effects during treatment. It would be a complete game changer if this were no longer the case.

“We think it’s the first example of a nanoparticle that carries a precise ratio of three drugs and can release those drugs in response to three distinct triggering mechanisms,” Johnson said in a press release. This triple-threat nanoparticle eliminated ovarian cancer cells better than nanoparticles which utilized either one or two medications. The design also allows for modification to include additional drugs as well.

The development of these nanoparticles has traditionally been hindered by where the drugs can be attached in the proper quantities. Some designs make an enclosure and tuck the medicine inside, which only allows for one medication. Attaching them to the outside can be done with two drugs, but is extremely difficult.

In order for a particle to deliver three drugs, Johnson’s lab had to take a completely different approach to the problem. Rather than using pieces to carry the drug, the particle is assembled from pieces that are the drug. Carefully regulated construction allows the pieces to fit together while maintaining the proper ratios of medication. The drug molecules are attached to a linking unit and then put into a polymer chain to protect the particles from breaking down in the body before it can enter the cell. Once the drugs have been delivered, the chain easily breaks down.

The team is moving forward in their research and has begun using this technique in animal models. They are also seeking to add a fourth drug to the structure. Their structure will also allow the ratios to be reconfigured as needed, to treat patients on an individual basis or to ensure that each medication is actually being useful.

Read more at [www.iflscience.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2014 03:52PM by skmf12.
Re: LONG TIME
April 22, 2014 07:05PM
Welcome back! It certainly has been awhile. Still no treatment but I keep being told that we are close to gene therapy trials although I don't know which method will make it to the finish line. I think it will work, always have. I also think we have proof of principle that restoration therapy in the form of stem cells works. That's coming too but will take longer to be available.

Time hasn't stood still in the Ireland/Miller family. Steve and I got married a couple years ago. My daughter went to Bangkok to be tested - she really wanted anonymity - and her results were negative! She got married and we have the world's most adorable little grandson with another due in less in a month. I am not working for HDSA any more and Steve is off the board. I am taking a break from research writing to enjoy family life but we do maintain this forum. Not burned out on HD families and advocacy but got close to it with the writing so it was time for a break. Hope all has been well with you!
April 29, 2014 01:11PM
Welcome back!!
April 29, 2014 10:33PM
MARSHA....

wow..... really really happy to hear your daughter is well.... one load off your back huh? ...
living a normal life and marriage?...... way to go.... you guys have given alot.... time to live
your own life for a minute.... good for you..... enjoy enjoy enjoy.... but still glad your here... smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login