Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Hd and healing from surgery

Posted by Amber 
Hd and healing from surgery
March 31, 2014 01:23PM
My mil was recently diagnosed with HD. She is the first with the diagnoses in her family (her father was diagnosed with a stroke and his mother was diagnosed with parkinsons). My mil was a mobile xray tech and a machine fell on her when the pulley broke many years ago. Her back was fractured in several spots as well as both shoulders and neck. She had several surgeries. She still complains about things that should be healed and insists that she needs more surgeries. My husband had a double fusion of the neck about 6 months ago. The docs said he had bulging discs and that his spinal cord was compressed. They thought many of his problems were due to that (tingling, pain, numbness in hand. Pain in neck. Headaches. Memory difficulties, etc.). The surgery hasn't helped and he says he is actually in more pain. We now realize that many of the symptoms are from HD. He thinks that surgery in HD patients does not heal as well. Have any of you had any experience with this? Have any of you with HD had surgery, or those you are caring for? Did they heal as expected?
Re: Hd and healing from surgery
March 31, 2014 06:31PM
Laura had a hysterectomy in Oct 2012 and came through with no problems. At the hospital with pre-op, the anesthesia and the recovery all went as planned.

Pete
April 01, 2014 11:52AM
Thanks Pete! Hoping to hear from more people....especially with more major surges that involve the spine.
April 09, 2014 04:45PM
My husband had back surgery a laminectomy last June. He is still healing but it has gone well and he is in a lot less pain than before. Hope this helps.
August 20, 2014 12:56PM
Thanks Debi. Not sure why my husband and his mother in law have had so much pain after their surgeries even though every one says they are healed and they shouldn't have pain. We think its an HD thing, but I haven't heard of others with the issue yet.
August 22, 2014 02:27PM
Amber-

Since April the pain has come back again not as bad as before surgery but bad enough to get a steroid injection this week. We hope this will help and time will tell.
August 26, 2014 07:10AM
We are trying to get a steroid injection! You would not believe the BS we are going through with his pc to get it. My husband finally emailed his neurosurgeon to get it set up through him for his neck. Trying to find out the cost as we have a large deductible. So, did the steroid injection help?
August 27, 2014 04:13PM
Debi and Amber,

Many years ago I had an MRI that showed bulging discs in my lower back that supposedly was causing pain. I happened across a pioneer in treating pain, Dr. John Sarno. I read his books, accepted his theories completely and healed myself. There are legions of stories about failed back surgeries and he has successfully treated those patients.

[www.healingbackpain.com]

I have no financial interest in Dr. Sarno's work.

Will
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login