Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

a good side of HD in my situation

Posted by sunnyjenn 
a good side of HD in my situation
February 13, 2014 02:57AM
My husband was diagnosed with HD last year at age 36. His CAG is 50. I have been so terrified of how it will manifest with him. He was always a hilarious joker, relaxed. Guess what...that characteristic got "worse" or better. Most of the time his is being a brat, making jokes, pulling pranks.

Two months after he was diagnosed he had to quit working because he was progressing so quickly, so he has had it for years we have come to realize. He has never had a temper tantrum. Well, one outburst before he was diagnosed and had no idea what was going on with his body.

He does get selfish which is so not like him. I miss holding his hand (he's afraid of squeezing my hand too hard).

But, I am happy to say he is still amazing and wonderful. Just wanted to try to bring some hope to those are wondering how it might be for them. He is constantly making me laugh, telling me he loves me. His mother and sister were not like that all.
VRE
Re: a good side of HD in my situation
February 13, 2014 08:44AM
Awesome to hear this. Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope he will continue along this path and enjoy your time together!

Vicky
February 17, 2014 08:13AM
I am also so happy to hear this....you are very blessed... I hope this continues thru out his sickness....my case is the total opposite....my husband used to be the most loving, caring, easygoing, unselfish, calm person I knew, now he is the total opposite...we have good days and they are good but when we have bad days, they are very bad. I hope your happiness continues...
Liz
March 03, 2014 07:55AM
My fathers sense of humour seems to have increased. He is also child-like is a lot of ways. Like wanting to hold my hand. He never has a temper and never raises his voice. Which is amazing for someone so ill.

He does get depressed and tries to hide it from us. He doesn't want us to see his panic attacks etc. I just hope that he realises that it's now time for us to carry him.
eve
March 04, 2014 07:07PM
This is really nice to hear. It's still got to be heart breaking to see your loved one change, but it's great to hear he is still amazing and wonderful. It's really interesting how HD affects people differently.
March 18, 2014 10:02AM
Personally, I mellowed in a lot of respects. Addition of stress and anxiety does change things however. No longer do I awake planning out what I will do today. It may be the best I feel all day or not.
Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login