Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

WORK SUFFERING

Posted by peggy 
WORK SUFFERING
January 30, 2014 07:53PM
My mom has Huntington's but I have yet to be tested. I am an accounting clerk. I have been making errors at my job. I've always taken great pride in my work. I even got a warning the other day due to an error I made. I feel like giving up and can't help but think it's Huntington's. I am very unhappy at my job but don't want to leave for fear that I do have this disease. I'm not sure I am capable of learning new things, I used to have such confidence in myself and being able to learn new things. I'm not sure if I have Huntington's or if I've convinced myself I do to the point of failing at my job. I am so sad and feel like crying most of the time. I feel stupid and like such a failure. Is there anybody else out there that had convinced themselves that they had it before they even tested?
Re: WORK SUFFERING
February 03, 2014 03:19PM
Peggy

I'm a PHD who is also struggling with work. My father died from HD a few years ago. I decided to take the test to confirm my neurlogist suspicion of
having HD. My work has taken travel away to simplify my job and now just do phone support. Used to do field service work. My workplace has been
very supportive since I have let them know I have HD but having a tougher time doing my job. Memory has really been affected and find it very hard
to focus on things. I'm in in odd place in that I'm not enjoying my job anymore either and everyday is a struggle but I'm not bad enough for disablity yet. Sounds like it would be a good idea for you to talk with a neuroligist. This web site has been a great help to me with all the knowlege and support.
February 03, 2014 04:22PM
Peggy,

It might be time to test. A positive result might help with your employer as Marky's did. I spent part of my career in finance so I can understand your frustration with mistakes. It might be due to being preoccupied with the possibility of having the HD gene.

Before I tested I was experiencing minor memory lapses that I assumed were due to aging. I was forgetting meetings at work and had to write down a grocery list for more than a few items. After I tested positive and began a serious supplement regimen (see my blog) those symptoms improved dramatically.

Will
February 10, 2014 10:54AM
I tested only after being symptomatic and did not have a family history. I can easily relate to your issues. Being a bean counter I relied on memory and constantly changing information as well as methods. This became a huge task. I couldn't remember or process questions that should have been simple. Hopefully it isn't HD. I get a little offended (shouldn't) when someone tells me that's just your age creeping up, I do the same thing. It's not the same thing and I have to keep in mind they are trying to be encouraging. I underwent cognitive testing during the process and that proved what I had been trying to get several Doctor's to understand.
Good luck,
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2014 11:00AM by mikee.
February 11, 2014 02:03PM
ME TOO!! I've been a business manager and just got wrote up for errors so I came clean with them asking for more proofing. I haven
't really heard back yet. Dam I really love my job!!
February 11, 2014 07:55PM
Thanks for your reply. What is cognitive testing? Is it something I can do without being tested for Huntington's? In my heart I already know that I have this terrible disease, I am just so scared to know the truth.
February 11, 2014 08:00PM
Are there any studies that I can be part of without being tested? My mom has it and is doing a Creating trial.
February 12, 2014 08:54AM
Peggy,

Yes!! [clinicaltrials.gov] the ENROLL study, formerly known as COHORT. About halfway down the page is a link to the study locations.

Will
February 13, 2014 09:12AM
Cognitive testing is just that. It is a series of one on one test in my situation ordered by physician to better evaluate my situation. From my knowledge it is not normally covered by insurance and is on the expensive side. I wasn't aware of the cost until my insurance did not pay. It could possibly give you some peace of mind, it takes several hours and I would imagine there are different types of cognitive testing. It will cover memory, recall, etc. Hope this helps.
Mike
February 13, 2014 09:14AM
It is my understanding that the American Disabilities Act prevents companies from letting people go because of a disability. Generally they become much more compassionate and try to work with the employee for a while.
That being said a diagnose takes so much fear out of being forced out of your job. But in order to do that you must submit a letter to your employer stating you have a disease from a qualified doctor who understands what is happening to you.
Your are stuck between a rock and a hard place now, but you can get the test done privately, think about it and then decide if you want to tell your employer. That way you have proof and can move quickly and if you have disability insurance it will be God sent in the long run.
February 26, 2014 12:45PM
Remember that not all employers will work with their employees, especially if the disability impacts the quality of their work. If your mistakes cost the company money, it's likely they will not be so forgiving. My husband's job description included driving carts of baggage to and from the flight line. When he had an accident at work, they insisted he be evaluated by OT, which subsequently resulted in forced medical leave or termination (he chose medical leave). With that being said, it's much better to find out for sure if you are HD symptomatic and apply for medical disability when necessary, than to end up being terminated due to financial errors.
I hope things work out for you, and that perhaps the errors you've had are related to stress and not to HD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login