Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Insurance no longer covering xenazine

Posted by howard 
Insurance no longer covering xenazine
January 13, 2014 02:52PM
Got a letter in the mail today that said that my daughter's medicare insurance company, Express Scripts is no longer going to cover xenazine. This is amazing since Express Scripts is owned by Accredo Pharmacy which is the supplier of xenazine. Did anyone else get this letter?
Re: Insurance no longer covering xenazine
January 13, 2014 03:43PM
It turns out that someone at Express Scripts (AKA Accredo) did not do their job and this termination letter was the result. It was a prior authorization issue which the employee simply blew off instead of doing it. A very nice lady at Express Scripts explained how it happened and fixed it on the phone. I guess there's some good folks left. No caregiver needs to get a letter like this.
JFB
January 13, 2014 08:35PM
Take care Howard
January 14, 2014 02:54PM
Howard,

Also had problems with Accredo which is subordinate to Express Scripts - unable to get thru on 800 number, non delivery of xenazine on promised date - called the Xenazine information/customer service number, on the Lundbeck web site, they switched us to Caremark the CVS specialty pharmacy, they transferred all info to CVS and delivery was on time. Delivery will be automatic. No need to call in unless there is a change on our part.

As much as I have run on about Xenazine and the cost of the drug, Lundbeck jumped on our situation. And, looks like they took care of the problem they and the community had with their provider if Accredo is sending letters out saying they no longer are a supplier of xenazine.

What is interesting, Express Scripts/Accredo ignored the problem when I posted a complaint with their customer service - maybe they understand now they are experiencing a significant loss of revenue.

Fred Lothrop
January 15, 2014 02:51PM
for what it is worth - understand Xenazine has run its course and will be going generic sometime this year. this will have an impact on those of us who receive it via specialty pharmacies such as Caremark and raises questions such as will Lundbeck still be involved, will the average corner pharmacy carry the generic, what will the cost be and how will that effect our copay?
January 15, 2014 04:02PM
That should be good considering it only cost about $50 a month in Canada vs. $7000 in the U.S.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login