Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

thirst

Posted by lauraandpete 
thirst
January 13, 2014 04:25AM
Folks,
Laura drinks plenty of water through out the day. Maybe 8-10 twelve oz. glasses. She is not on any medications, eats a pretty balanced diet and takes some of the basic supplements. We are wondering if anyone else out there is having extreme thirst. She’s thirsty all the time.

Ant thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Pete & Laura
Re: thirst
January 13, 2014 07:53AM
Is she taking creatine? That is known to make you thirsty.
January 13, 2014 09:08AM
Creatine will do that. She also might have an electrolyte (sodium) imbalance. If there's too much of it in your system the body will want more fluid to keep the proper balance. Cutting down 0n salt might help.

Will
January 13, 2014 05:38PM
Thanks for the replies. She is not taking creatine. I don't know if it is diet related. In the mean time I contacted Laura's doctor and she provided this article.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
January 14, 2014 02:21PM
My husband always has to have a glass of water next to him. He is not taking creatine and has been doing this for quite some time now.
January 14, 2014 05:52PM
That is good to know about thirst in Huntington's. My ex also seems to want to have water available all the time too. He also has a high risk for diabetes which also commonly presents with increased thirst. So far, his blood sugars have been only mildly elevated. Common things being common, keep diabetes in mind as well.
February 18, 2015 02:44AM
If you’re always thirsty, avoid drinking seemingly healthy beverages like 100 percent fruit juices or smoothies, as these drinks may contain 30 grams or higher of sugar per serving. Also avoid excessive alcohol and caffeine intake (up to three cups of coffee a day will not severely dehydrate), as both can dehydrate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login